Help - Guest Account

Post by John Bish » Sat, 29 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Is this a bug??  Pg 4-7 in the system admin guide say
that you can add a "guest" account, then this will
allow any user who is not a part of the dbase to get in.
The user after logging in inherits the guest permissions.

I've added the guest user, but when I try and
use the dbase, I get the message that the user is not
a valid user in the dbase.

So...  what's the beef?  Bug or not?

Thanks in advance.

JB

Help - Guest Account

Post by Jining Ha » Sat, 29 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>Is this a bug??  Pg 4-7 in the system admin guide say
>that you can add a "guest" account, then this will
>allow any user who is not a part of the dbase to get in.
>The user after logging in inherits the guest permissions.

>I've added the guest user, but when I try and
>use the dbase, I get the message that the user is not
>a valid user in the dbase.

>So...  what's the beef?  Bug or not?

>Thanks in advance.

>JB

I think there is a confusion here. A guest user is VERY
different from a guest account.  If you add (sp_adduser guest)
to a database, the userid is 2, predetermined by Sybase, and
it has all the permission rights the public group has. But
if you create a guest account (sp_addlogin), you create an
actual guest account, and the uid is going to be anything but
guest.

I am not sure if I got the point across, but I would definitely
read those lines again.

Thanks
Jining Han
Indiana University.

1. App Role and guest account

Hi,
I have the following situation: An application needs to access tables
and execute stored procedures on different databases using only one
connection if possible. To avoid highly privileged user (NT) accounts,
I want to use an application role. The only way I know to e.g. execute
queries over more than one db is to have the app role in the one and
an appropriately privileged guest account in all other databases.
However, any other application using a maybe different application
role could gain the privileges of those guest accounts, which I think
should be avoided. Is there any way around this probably well-known
dilemma? Maybe to have the same application roles defined in all
relevant databases and have those linked in a way "normal" users would
be linked via a login? Any ideas are much welcome!
Thanks in advance,

Stephan

2. Replication stalls.

3. Guest account landing in TempDB

4. DTC version

5. security question regarding guest account

6. US-FL-RISK MANAGER / ORACLE

7. Newbie question about logins and guest account

8. VB5 Data Repeater

9. Application Roles and guest accounts

10. Guest Account

11. Guest account and logins