Deadlocks...

Post by James A. Hors » Thu, 29 Sep 1994 22:09:04

I was curious if there was some guide that has been compiled to avoid
deadlocks.    Currently the project that I am working on suffers  due to these
dealocks.  Would it be best to retry if there was a deadlock for x attempts,
or develope some kind of semaphore approach?

Thanks in advance...

Deadlocks...

Post by Andy Coh » Sun, 02 Oct 1994 10:02:04

One technique that can help a lot is to make sure you always request locks
in the same order. That way, you won't get process A which has lock 1 and
needs
lock 2, and process B which has lock 2 and needs lock 1.

Sticking to this rule sometimes means that you get more locks than you
really
need, but it will help to avoid deadlocks.

Hope this helps,

     Andy Cohen, consultant
     Context Integration

> I was curious if there was some guide that has been compiled to avoid
> deadlocks.    Currently the project that I am working on suffers  due to these
> dealocks.  Would it be best to retry if there was a deadlock for x attempts,
> or develope some kind of semaphore approach?

> Thanks in advance...

1. Deadlocked by Deadlocks

I'm new to SQL and even newer to replication so this is really flustrating -
I have set up a merge publication and have successfully set up two push
subscriptions, the only problem is that the replication keeps getting
stopped by Deadlocks (Error 1205).  How do I stop these and can anyone tell
me what these are getting caused by?????

2. test posting- disregard

3. Deadlock situtation (deadlock victim) - help needed!!

4. Delphi 1.02 via ODBC to Oracle7

5. Your server command (process id 14) was deadlocked with another process and has been chosen as deadlock victim. Re-run your command

6. REALLY removing a task from a DTS package

7. Deadlock on update

8. Chicago, IL -- Sr. Oracle Financials

9. deadlock and timeout

10. fixing deadlocking even when only single SPID

11. Deadlock involving single select with a join

12. bcp --> deadlock

13. deadlocking