Sybase ASE/Linux - Thanks Sybase!!!

Post by Guy Co » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I would also like to praise Sybase for the LINUX port.  I am
currently in the requirements phase for a product which originally
used Sybase as part of the back end.

Many customers have expressed an interest in not having to purchase
a SPARC station to host our product.  This implies that we either
support a NT version (!!!) or find another database.

Now that Sybase is available for LINUX, I'm fairly confident this
is the path to take.  Thanks Sybase for saving our initial development
investment and allowing us to move forward without starting over
from scratch.

    "One of the thundering herd of computer nurds in Silicon Valley, USA"

Post by Calle Karlsso » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I would also like to praise Sybase for the LINUX port.  I am
> currently in the requirements phase for a product which originally
> used Sybase as part of the back end.

> Many customers have expressed an interest in not having to purchase
> a SPARC station to host our product.  This implies that we either
> support a NT version (!!!) or find another database.

> Now that Sybase is available for LINUX, I'm fairly confident this
> is the path to take.  Thanks Sybase for saving our initial development
> investment and allowing us to move forward without starting over
> from scratch.

I'm also extremely happy with the Linux port!

One thing that strikes me.. wouldn't it be a very tough competitor for
Microsoft SQL Server? After all, there's not _that_ much difference
between the two (Sql Server coming from Sybase ver.10?) and I suspect
that Sybase/Linux runs much better than SQL Server on the same hardware.
What's the pros and cons? (I'm not trying to start any flamewar here,
just interested...)

  Calle

Sybase ASE/Linux - Thanks Sybase!!!

Post by Ian Cairn » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

     [snip previous quote]

Quote:> One thing that strikes me.. wouldn't it be a very tough competitor for
> Microsoft SQL Server? After all, there's not _that_ much difference
> between the two (Sql Server coming from Sybase ver.10?) and I suspect
> that Sybase/Linux runs much better than SQL Server on the same hardware.
> What's the pros and cons? (I'm not trying to start any flamewar here,
> just interested...)

>   Calle

IIRC 4.2b on OS/2 was the last "joint" product.

Sybase also had versions 4.8 (the first multi-processor release) and
4.9.[12] before version 10.

--
Ian Cairns, Sybase ASE Supportability Group

  ianc.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Gregory Trav » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>One thing that strikes me.. wouldn't it be a very tough competitor for
>Microsoft SQL Server?

Yes.

Quote:>After all, there's not _that_ much difference
>between the two (Sql Server coming from Sybase ver.10?) and I suspect
>that Sybase/Linux runs much better than SQL Server on the same hardware.

Yes again.  In fact, many of the admin and monitoring tools that come with
MS SQL Server 6.5 work just fine against a Sybase server running on
Linux.

Quote:>What's the pros and cons? (I'm not trying to start any flamewar here,
>just interested...)

We did some fairly extensive benchmarking between MS SQL server 6.5 under
NT and Sybase 11.0.3 under Linux - both running on the same hardware
(Mitsuba 200Mhz Pentium II, 64MB ram, Adaptect SCSI controller, IBM
SCSI disk).

Per the license agreement, I can't post the benchmark results but I can
strongly encourage you to do your own benchmarks.  I think you'll find
almost all pro and little, if any, con.  Given the resources that Microsoft
must have put into SQL Server 6.5 + NT to make them run well together vs.
the resources that Sybase put into ASE + Linux (i.e. little more than type
"make" from what I hear), it's compelling.  Not to mention lots of fun.

Suffice to say that we'll be rolling out a commercial product next
month based on Linux/Apache/PHP3.0/Perl/Sybase coupled to our
software.

greg
--
gregory travis     |"If you're going to kill someone there isn't much reason

                   |with Novell when we pull the trigger."  MSFT's Jim Allchin

Sybase ASE/Linux - Thanks Sybase!!!

Post by Evan Care » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Greg,

Good to hear you got Sybase to work out for you. I was wondering, did you have any
luck in getting sypperl and DBD to work for you under Linux as well? If so, I
would like to hear how your did it.

Thanks

--
----==-- _                     / /  \
---==---(_)__  __ ____  __    / / /\ \

Sybase ASE/Linux - Thanks Sybase!!!

Post by Evan Care » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Another perl related question:
Anybody know how to repair perl after you get a failed sybperl install?

Thanks

--
----==-- _                     / /  \
---==---(_)__  __ ____  __    / / /\ \

Sybase ASE/Linux - Thanks Sybase!!!

Post by Gregory Trav » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Greg,

>Good to hear you got Sybase to work out for you. I was wondering, did you have any
>luck in getting sypperl and DBD to work for you under Linux as well? If so, I
>would like to hear how your did it.

We had no difficulty in getting either Sybperl or DBD/DBI for Sybase
going.  We're using them in production right now as a matter of fact.
In this application a Sybase/Linux box was used to replace an
NT 4.0/MS SQL 6.5 box.  Plug and play as they say.

greg
--
gregory travis     |"If you're going to kill someone there isn't much reason

                   |with Novell when we pull the trigger."  MSFT's Jim Allchin

Sybase ASE/Linux - Thanks Sybase!!!

Post by Evan Care » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I suspect that part of my problem is a Red Hat install that is half way in between the
5.0 and 5.1 version levels. In looking at other responses on this news group I see
that you really need 2.0.36 or grater. While I am at it, I think I will go for a full
refresh oof all packages. <sigh> this is going to be painfull.

--
----==-- _                     / /  \
---==---(_)__  __ ____  __    / / /\ \

Sybase ASE/Linux - Thanks Sybase!!!

Post by Jonathan H. Picka » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Greg,

>Good to hear you got Sybase to work out for you. I was wondering, did you have any
>luck in getting sypperl and DBD to work for you under Linux as well? If so, I
>would like to hear how your did it.

*shrug* Not speaking for sybperl (since I don't use it), but getting
DBD::Sybase 0.08 and 0.09 built was pretty much standard procedure:

  $ cd DBI-1.02
  $ perl Makefile.PL
  $ make
  $ make test
  $ su
  Password:
  # make install
  # exit
  $

The only thing special I had to do was make sure the sybase user's
home directory was the base directory of the installation (I set a
softlink from /home/sybase to /opt/sybase).

Getting DBD::Sybase to work over DBI::Proxy, on the other hand,
well that was just gross.  Required lots of hacking and slashing
to even get multiple result sets across the wire, and I'm not even
done yet...

>Thanks
[snip]

-jhp

Post by Michael Pepple » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Another perl related question:
> Anybody know how to repair perl after you get a failed sybperl install?

You need to go to /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl

and delete any directories that are named Sybase, as well as files named
DBlib.* or CTlib.*

Not the cleanest of operations - but it should work.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler         -||-  Data Migrations Inc.

Int. Sybase User Group  -||-  http://www.isug.com

Sybase ASE/Linux - Thanks Sybase!!!

Post by Evan Care » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Mr. Peppler,

Thanks!

--

A proud member of TeamLinux

1. Accessing MSSQL7 from Linux (with Sybase ASE 11.0.3.3)

Hello,

I'm trying to connect MsSQL7.0 from Linux with Perl. I have
installed both MsSQL7.0 and Sybase ASE 11.0.3.3 and perl's
DBDs and they are working properly.
But my problem is when I try to connect SQL7.0 connection will
disconnect and in SQL7.0 errorlog are following lines:

"Error: 17832, Severity 18, Sate 3
Connection opened but invalid login packet(s) send. Connection closed ..."

I read, that this is possible with Sybases drivers and MsSQL (6.5?), but I
don't get it working.

Has anybody got connections to SQL7.0 from Linux?
And anybody knows what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Sami Korhonen

2. PDOX3 for DOS limits

3. where can I find free Sybase ASE jdbc driver for linux jdk1.1

4. Batch command to add multiple tables/stored procedures

5. connect APACHE webserver on LINUX to a Sybase ASE on windows 2000 Pro

6. Move everything from one server to another server . . .

7. What version of Linux to install Sybase ASE 12.5

8. changing owners of a dts package

9. Getting started Sybase ASE on Suse Linux

10. Sybase ASE 12.5 on Linux : Problems with cooked files

11. Can't truncate transaction log (Sybase ASE 11.0.3.3 Linux)

12. Date Oddity - Linux and Sybase ASE