Sybase Performance

Post by LA Kellogg lawrence a 20238335 » Thu, 20 Apr 1995 04:00:00

  We have a client who is looking at performance problems on Sybase 4.9.2 and
SunOS. I'm new to the whole Sybase game so could someone help me understand
the issues involved with tuning the performance of Sybase. What about
striping of data..pros/cons..other techniques to improve performance?
Could you recommend any books on this. Yes, I have to take the Sybase
Performance and Tuning class...but don't have the time at the moment.

     Regards,

    Larry Kellogg

Sybase Performance

Post by Ken Blo » Sat, 22 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Sybase Performance
>Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 15:41:40 GMT
>  We have a client who is looking at performance problems on Sybase 4.9.2 and
>SunOS. I'm new to the whole Sybase game so could someone help me understand
>the issues involved with tuning the performance of Sybase. What about
>striping of data..pros/cons..other techniques to improve performance?
>Could you recommend any books on this. Yes, I have to take the Sybase
>Performance and Tuning class...but don't have the time at the moment.
>     Regards,
>    Larry Kellogg

What are the performance issues (CPU bound, IO bound.... low cache hit
ratio....)???

The client's problems could be anything from poor index choices, the need
for RAID or RAM disks, increased memory, tuning the OS or the networking
software.  Performance and tuning class is a start, but you may want to
consider a consultant to get you up to speed quickly if speed is an issue.

Ken Block  (just my .02  my company has nothing to do with it)
GTECH Corporation