Raw logical volume device problem

Post by Cliff Vasice » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I am running Sybase 11.0.1 under HP-UX 10.2 and I decided to move my
master database and a user database from standard UNIX files to raw
logical devices as is suggested in all the sybase documentation to
prevent data loss during a power outage.  I accomplished this by
dumping the latest version of my user database to tape, reinstalling
sybase(to get around the problem of trying to move the master database
and all the other system databases), configuring the master and
system procedures devices to be on raw logical volumes, and loading
my user database from tape onto devices that were also on raw logical
volumes.  This process was successful, except now the access time
to this database is extremely slow.  I access this database using
Open/Client C libraries.  The only real change I made when moving the
database was that I increased its size from 350 MB to 950 MB.  Does
anyone know why my access times should be considerably slower (on the
order of 10 or more times slower)?  Thanks
for any help anyone can give me on this problem.
                                                Cliff
--
Cliff Vasicek
Applied Research Laboratories

Raw logical volume device problem

Post by Tom McCread » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Cliff,

Check to see whether async io is enabled.  I sent a longer
e-mail to your personal address.  Also check your error log
boot sequence to see what SQL Server uses to access each
device.

Tom
--
MZ

1. Raw devices on HP logical volumes

I'm setting up Sybase with async IO on HP logical volumes, and the
Sybase manual says to use the character device.  But I saw somewhere
that I should use the block device when using HP logical volumes.
Which one should I use?

Thanks,

Tom

2. BIT fields & SQLBindCol > Help !

3. HP-Logical Volumes and Sybase Logical devices ?

4. ado table names retrieving ?

5. raw logical volumes and oracle

6. FoxPro 2.5 DOS vs Win2000

7. AIX raw logical volumes

8. Renaming Server

9. Sybase devices and AIX logical volumes

10. WAL and raw devices (was: volume management)

11. raw device or not raw device

12. Informix/AIX block raw device to character raw device

13. Using a journaled fs versus raw logical devices