A gotcha in upgrade program for 10.0.2

Post by Susan Co » Sun, 12 Mar 1995 07:39:49

I just thought I would pass this along and maybe do somebody some good ...

I just got stuck for a couple of hours trying to upgrade our SQL server from
10.0.1 to 10.0.2.  There is a point early in the upgrade sequence where you
are asked to "Enter the name of a SQL server user account that has SA
privileges".  We had disabled the "sa" account itself so I entered the name
of an individual account that has sa role.  And got a message that the
pre-upgrade test had failed.  A look at the logs showed the failure was
"DB-Library: Login incorrect".

Thus began a long sequence of trying the account on the running 10.0.1
server, re-checking its role (yes, it had sa), re-entering it repeatedly
more-and-more-carefully to the upgrade script, while waiting for Sybase
support to call me back.  I found that if the account/password I entered was
truly incorrect, I got the "login incorrect" error in the window where the
screen was running.  When it was actually correct, I just got the "failed the
test" message and the error itself only appeared in the log file.

Anyway, at long last I got a callback from Sybase and the answer is:  You
must use the "sa" account; no other account with sa role will work.  A bug in
the install script.  Beware!

1. Oracle Applications, HR, Human Resources, Upgrade 10.6-10.7, Contract

Agency:        Application Centre Ltd.
Contact:       Nicola Mullarkey
Telephone:     0171 354 5056  or Mobile 0973
307 470
Fax:           0171 354 2373

Type:          Contract
Job Title:     Oracle Application, HR, Human
Resources, Upgrade 10.6-10.7

Vacancy:       Oracle HR Consultant needed for
National Company  in the City of London. Will
be expected to carry out the upgrade of the HR
system from Oracle Applications 10.6 - 10.7,
may be required to assist with the planning.
Functional and Technical skills useful.

Location:      City Of London
Start date:    2-4 weeks time
Duration:      3-4 weeks +
Rate/Salary:   Application Centre's Square
Deal
Reference:     CIX/NM 640 Oracle HR upgrade
10.6 - 10.7
Subject:       Oracle Application, HR, Human
Resources, Upgrade 10.6-10.7, Contract

2. *WANTED* Qualified People

3. Upgrade from 10.0.1 to 10.0.2

4. Replication Solution

5. Upgrading System 10.0.1 to 10.0.2

6. ORA-01076, ORA-03127: how issue concurrent queries in 1 process ?

7. 10.0.1->10.0.2 Upgrade

8. Create temp table for SQL server in access format and post back?

9. Gotcha's with SQL 7.0 during NT 4.0 to Win2k upgrade

10. Question : gotcha's in upgrading by swapping system drives

11. Join performance after 7.0 Upgrade (>10 tables)

12. Upgrading from 10 CAL to 1 Processor License

13. Oracle 10 to 11 upgrade