I just thought I would pass this along and maybe do somebody some good ...
I just got stuck for a couple of hours trying to upgrade our SQL server from
10.0.1 to 10.0.2. There is a point early in the upgrade sequence where you
are asked to "Enter the name of a SQL server user account that has SA
privileges". We had disabled the "sa" account itself so I entered the name
of an individual account that has sa role. And got a message that the
pre-upgrade test had failed. A look at the logs showed the failure was
"DB-Library: Login incorrect".
Thus began a long sequence of trying the account on the running 10.0.1
server, re-checking its role (yes, it had sa), re-entering it repeatedly
more-and-more-carefully to the upgrade script, while waiting for Sybase
support to call me back. I found that if the account/password I entered was
truly incorrect, I got the "login incorrect" error in the window where the
screen was running. When it was actually correct, I just got the "failed the
test" message and the error itself only appeared in the log file.
Anyway, at long last I got a callback from Sybase and the answer is: You
must use the "sa" account; no other account with sa role will work. A bug in
the install script. Beware!