Questions on Power Builder with Sybase

Post by Edward Bro » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 10:41:17

I know next to nothing about powerbuilder. Can someone out on
the net respond to these questions from Frank?!

FROM: Frank S. Fazekas, Jr.
SUBJECT: Sybase Client Software NFS installation / performance

Ed,

I have a couple of questions regarding installation of the client
software for Sybase System 10.

Is it possible to install ct-lib and net-lib to an NFS drive for use
by multiple client machines? What dll's are needed to make this
connection and will the clients have to run the wsybset.bat file?
(assuming PowerBuilder as a front end)

And...what are the performance implications of running back and forth
from client to NFS drive to execute PowerBuilder runtime code and
execute ct-lib calls??

Would appreciate any input you can send my way...

Thanks,

Frank

Questions on Power Builder with Sybase

Post by david.mar.. » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 00:19:27

Aside from NFS and Windows being generally slow, Running Open Client software
off of a network is appropriate.

Considerations:

I have run into situations where the Open Client services are not on the DOS
search path because NFS services are provided via MS Windows DLLs.  In order to
avoid potentially annoying error messages during the boot-up process, you may
want to consider a DOS based network file manager like PC/FTP or Lan Workplace
for DOS.  Assign the NFS drive at the DOS level.  Then you have workstation
memory consideration due to the Terminate and Stay Resident (TSR) programs
utilized by these packages.  The goal is to incorporate the complexities and
performance of running DLLs off the network drive with your maintenance costs.

Additionally,  CT-Lib uses a new approach for locating data services on the
network.  CT-Lib uses a SQL.INI file found in the INI of the Open Client
directory while DB-Lib uses a section in the WIN.INI file.  Powerbuilder 4.0 is
able to use CT-Lib or DB-Lib.  Powerbuilder or any other ODBC compliant
development tool gives you the additional headache of trying to manage the
different ODBC drivers and services (ODBC.INI and ODBCINST.INI files).  As long
as you have standard ODBC Services, Net-Libs, Domain Addresses, and Query Ports
for the data servers and any open servers, your maintenance efforts could be
minimized.

As an aside, I've fond that putting PB development software on the local drive
provide optimal developer productivity.  Performance of running a compiled
application off of the network probably will not be affected by the network.

Hope this Helps,

David C. Martin
Senior Consultant
Sybase Professional Services

Comment are my own opinion and are not necessarily endorsed by my employer.

> Newsgroups: comp.databases.sybase

> Subject: Questions on Power Builder with Sybase

> Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 01:41:17 GMT

> I know next to nothing about powerbuilder. Can someone out on
> the net respond to these questions from Frank?!

> FROM: Frank S. Fazekas, Jr.
> SUBJECT: Sybase Client Software NFS installation / performance

> Ed,

> I have a couple of questions regarding installation of the client
> software for Sybase System 10.

> Is it possible to install ct-lib and net-lib to an NFS drive for use
> by multiple client machines? What dll's are needed to make this
> connection and will the clients have to run the wsybset.bat file?
> (assuming PowerBuilder as a front end)

> And...what are the performance implications of running back and forth
> from client to NFS drive to execute PowerBuilder runtime code and
> execute ct-lib calls??

> Would appreciate any input you can send my way...

> Thanks,

> Frank

Questions on Power Builder with Sybase

Post by Robin Stro » Sat, 11 Mar 1995 02:07:38

Quote:

>I know next to nothing about powerbuilder. Can someone out on
>the net respond to these questions from Frank?!

Sure!

Quote:>FROM: Frank S. Fazekas, Jr.
>SUBJECT: Sybase Client Software NFS installation / performance

>Ed,

>I have a couple of questions regarding installation of the client
>software for Sybase System 10.

>Is it possible to install ct-lib and net-lib to an NFS drive for use
>by multiple client machines? What dll's are needed to make this
>connection and will the clients have to run the wsybset.bat file?
>(assuming PowerBuilder as a front end)

There shouldn't be any problems in doing this.  If Windows doesn't have
the DLL in the current directory, it will look in \WINDOWS and in
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM, then the PATH, to find it.  If you put the DLLs in,
say, X:\DLLS, then make sure all users have this in their PATH, you
should have no problems.  This relies on you mapping all users drives
correctly, and ensuring that their PATHs are correct.  The other option
is to run a script at startup which copies the lates DLLs from an NFS
drive to the users local drive.  This makes it easier to keep the DLLs
up to date, but you have a script to maintain.  The DLLs you need will
depend on your net, but you will need W3DBLIB.DLL, something like
WDBNOVTC.DLL or WDBSKTC.DLL, and the PBSYCxxx.DLL.  It will probably
be easier to maintain all the DLLs in the PB deployment kit in the
same way as these, as they will change more often.

Quote:>And...what are the performance implications of running back and forth
>from client to NFS drive to execute PowerBuilder runtime code and
>execute ct-lib calls??

There doesn't seem to be a big performance hit.  The app will take
longer to start, but I think that DLLs stay in memory until no more
apps are using them, so Windows will page the DLL to its local swap
file.  Also, if you put _all_ the DLLs and the app on an NFS drive,
it will be slower than normal, but we do this and performance is fine.
Your mileage will definately vary on this one, so try it out.  If you
find performance to be too slow, go for a local copy.  The central
version will be _much_ easier to maintain though, so I'd go for that
option unless performance is unacceptable.  Remember, most users will
not complain if your app takes a few seconds to start, as long as it
runs at a good speed!

Quote:>Would appreciate any input you can send my way...

>Thanks,

>Frank

Good luck,

Robin Strong                      Salomon Brothers International Limited
BTO - CATS Project                --------------------------------------------
Certified PowerBuilder Developer

Post by Jerry J Gle » Sat, 11 Mar 1995 05:12:17

>>Is it possible to install ct-lib and net-lib to an NFS drive for use
>>by multiple client machines? What dll's are needed to make this
>>connection and will the clients have to run the wsybset.bat file?
>>(assuming PowerBuilder as a front end)
>up to date, but you have a script to maintain.  The DLLs you need will
>depend on your net, but you will need W3DBLIB.DLL, something like
>WDBNOVTC.DLL or WDBSKTC.DLL, and the PBSYCxxx.DLL.  It will probably

Be aware that if you're using the PBSYCxxx.DLLs and SQL Server 10.0.x,
then you may intend to be switching to Sybase Open Client CTLIB rather
than DBLIB.  If so, then instead of W3DBLIB.DLL you would want WCTLIB.DLL.
In addition, your network drivers would be WNL*.DLL (e.g. WNLWNSCK.DLL
instead of WDBWSKTC.DLL).  PowerBuilder 4 will continue to use DBLIB
until you change the database connection DBMS=syc in PB.INI, by the way.

                                                              -Jerry

--
  Jerry J Glenn                           Collaborative Medical Systems
  Senior Sybase Developer                 Waltham, MA