sybase sqlanywhere 5.0

Post by Eric Verhorster » Tue, 05 Oct 1999 04:00:00

A client of us installed sql anywhere 5.0. The server on one machine and
the client on 3 machines. It worked perfect until they bought a new
computer. After they installed it they get the message "Can not find
server".

Doe someone now why we receive this message. I am sure that the settings
in the register are correct. I compared them with a machine where it
worked. I also checked the netwqork settings. They are also the same as
the machine where is works.

Thanks in advance,

Eric Verhorstert

sybase sqlanywhere 5.0

Post by Eric Verhorster » Thu, 07 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Jeff,

Yes, the dbclient software is installed. All the machine are running Windows 98.
We use Sybase SQL anywhere 5.05.041867 for client and 5.00.0000 server.

I compared the installation with the old machine. I am sure I installed it the
same way. Could it be that there is something missing in windows 98. I made the
same installation at our office and then it works fine.

Do you in what the procedure is when then client looks for the server.

Kind regards,

Eric Verhorstert

> Eric,

> Is the dbclient software installed?  What operating system is installed on
> this machine?  What flavor of SQL Anywhere are you running on the server and
> your clients?

> Best,

> Jeff Black
> http://www.advancedsolutionsinc.com

> >A client of us installed sql anywhere 5.0. The server on one machine and
> >the client on 3 machines. It worked perfect until they bought a new
> >computer. After they installed it they get the message "Can not find
> >server".

> >Doe someone now why we receive this message. I am sure that the settings
> >in the register are correct. I compared them with a machine where it
> >worked. I also checked the netwqork settings. They are also the same as
> >the machine where is works.

> >Thanks in advance,

> >Eric Verhorstert

1. Sybase SQLAnywhere 5.0 for NT bugs

Sybase seems to want you to pay THEM to accept bug reports.  Symantec is
the same way.  I am rather ticked with this attitude.  The vendor has sold
a defective product and refuses to ever listen to the complaints.  This is
not the same as requesting support.  When you report bugs you are doing
them a favour.

(1) If you create a large people database and index by a secondary index
postalCode, you can do very rapid searches with SQL of the form: SELECT *
FROM PEOPLE WHERE POSTALCODE BETWEEN 'V5H0A0' AND 'V5H9Z9';  However if you
add an ORDER BY clause of any kind the search will take an EXTREMELY long
time, even if you select only a couple of records.  From the PLAN presented
which says it is building a temp table based on POSTALCODE, I think the
fool thing is searching the ENTIRE POSTALCODE index from beginning to end,
or is reading the entire database beginning to end.  Even when I give it an
estimate of 1% it does the same thing. It should simply scan that little
section of the POSTALCODE index spin off the people records it finds and
sort.

(2) with the -b option on dbeng50 I found many times that even after a
COMMIT-WORK, when I restarted the database, my last actions were not there.
I have not nailed down precisely when this happens.  I suspect it may be
related to running out of RAM.  I found I could bypass the problem by
turns out is faster even though it takes many passes through the data).

For the JAVA GLOSSARY and the CMP Utilities: <http://mindprod.com>
--
Roedy Green,  Canadian Mind Products
-30-

2. Migration from 32bit to 64Bit system

3. Sybase SQLAnyWhere 5.0 & Powerbuilder

4. Duplicate record in Large Table

5. SQLAnywhere 5.0 vs Visual Basic 5.0

6. Multiple User Databases

7. Urgent: HELP!!! VB 5.0 w/ SQLAnywhere

8. MS Query Invalid Object Name

9. Delphi 1.0 to SqlAnywhere 5.0

10. Problem with Reportsmith and SqlAnyWhere 5.0

11. DatabaseMetaData and SqlAnywhere 5.0

12. Help : Delphi 2.01 and SQLAnywhere 5.0

13. SQLAnywhere 5.0 to SYSTEM XI