October '94 Sybase Press Release

Post by Jack A. Gr » Fri, 07 Oct 1994 14:23:29

SYBASE ANNOUNCES WORKGROUP SQL SERVER BUNDLE

 New WorkGroup Bundle, 100% Compatible with SYBASE System 10, Brings the
 WorkGroup into the Enterprise

 EMERYVILLE, CA, October 3, 1994 -- Sybase, Inc., today announced the
 availability of SYBASE( WorkGroup SQL Server* 10,  SybaseUs SQL Server*
 10 bundled with desktop utility products, available on the common
 PC-server operating systems: Windows NT, NetWare, OS/2 and PC-server
 UNIX.  The bundle, available for up to 100 users, is priced for the
 PC-server market.  Components of the bundle include:  SYBASE SQL Server
 10, Open Client*, SQL Server Manager*, SQL Server Monitor* and BackUp
 Server*.   SybaseUs WorkGroup SQL Server is fully functional SYBASE
 System 10* technology, including standard System 10 architecture and
 performance features, making the new bundle 100% compatible with all
 Sybase technologies.  In addition, Sybase announced that Replication
 Server*, Replication Server Manager*, and Open Server* are now available
 on Windows NT, and will be available on NetWare, OS/2 and PC-server
 UNIX.
        The SYBASE WorkGroup SQL Server product bundle is targeted at
 large-scale deployment within large companies where groups of users
 primarily perform light, on-line transaction processing (OLTP) and
 decision-support (DSS) applications.  RThe PC server is taking on an
 increasingly important role in departments within large enterprises, and
 that is what this new product bundle is designed to address.  Customers
 doing light OLTP and DSS applications need a different business model,
 including packaged pricing and products that are easy to use,S said Stu
 Schuster, SybaseUs executive vice president of marketing.  RThese
 products must be compatible with existing enterprise databases as well
 as interoperate with a range of data sources including desktop PC
 servers, UNIX servers and the mainframe.S
        ROur customers have told us that they want a range of product
 capabilities and a range of business models to better meet their needs
 in todayUs dynamic marketplace,S  Schuster added.  RSybase customers
 will be pleased to see that we have not removed any features or scaled
 the bundled products down.  In fact, with full ANSI SQL standard
 support, scalable performance across multiple operating systems,
 interoperability to multiple data sources, and standards support,
 customers on the desktop will now have the leading technology they are
 used to in the enterprise.S
  Workgroup Bundle Features
 The WorkGroup SQL Server 10 bundle consists of the following products:

 %SQL Server 10 P A high-performance, proven relational database
 management system (RDBMS) that maintains high-transaction and query
 throughput while supporting up to thousands of users.  SQL Server has
 been optimized for the major PC-server operating systems with
 easy-to-use installation and unified login. SQL Server 10 includes
 multilingual support (French, German, Japanese, etc.).

 %Open Client Application Programming Interface (API) P An
 industry-standard API that manages the communications between client
 applications or tools and SQL Server software or any other data sources
 using the Open Server* API.

 %SQL Server Monitor for Windows P A graphical tool for optimizing SQL
 Server performance that provides a comprehensive set of performance
 statistics for evaluating and tuning operation of SQL Server databases.

 %SQL Server Manager for Windows P A graphical data base administration
 (DBA) tool for SQL Server that provides an easy-to-use interface for
 performing SQL Server operational control activities.

 %Backup Server P Bundled with SQL Server, Backup Server provides
 high-performance parallel backup, loading and recovery for very large
 databases P up to hundreds of gigabytes.

 Support and Training
        Support for the WorkGroup SQL Server bundle will be delivered through a
 strategic agreement with Hewlett-Packard (HP).  HP will provide first-
 and second-level support, answering the 1-800-8SYBASE number as Rvirtual
 Sybase support.S  HP was selected by Sybase to provide support for this
 product set because it is widely recognized as a leader in supporting PC
 products.  The cost of support for the bundle, called the Sybase Desktop
 Support* Plan, is a minimum of $4,000 or 30% of licensed revenue per
 site.  It is the first service offering from Sybase specifically
 designed to address the needs of client/server workgroups using SQL
 Server products for Windows, Windows NT, MS-DOS, OS/2, NetWare, SCO
 UNIX, and Macintosh.  The Desktop Support Plan is an annual support
 contract that provides unlimited regular business-day telephone support,
 software maintenance, and access to Sybase OpenLine, the companyUs
 support forum on CompuServe. Volume discounts for support are also
 available.  (See todayUs related press release for more information.)
        Training for the WorkGroup SQL Server bundle is available through the
 Sybase Technical Education Program (STEPSM) and through courses now
 being offered by Authorized Sybase Education Providers (ASEPSM).

 Pricing and Availability
        Pricing for the WorkGroup SQL Server bundle ranges from $995 for a
 single user to $19,995 for 100 users.  The initial purchase price does
 not include upgrades.  The complete user breakout in US dollars and in
 the US marketplace is as follows:
                                        1 user          =       $995
                                        8 users =       $3,595
                                        16 users        =       $5,595
                                        32 users        =       $9,595
                                        64 users        =       $14,995
                                        100 users       =       $19,995
        The WorkGroup SQL Server bundle is available now on Windows NT and
 NetWare.  It is expected to be available on OS/2 in late October, on SCO
 UNIX by the end of the calendar year and on UnixWare and Solaris x86 in
 Q1 of 1995.  The WorkGroup SQL Server product bundle is currently
 available through SybaseUs direct and telesales forces and from current
 SYBASE Open Solutions* value added resellers (VARs) and system
 integrators (SIs).

 Promotional Offer
        Sybase is offering a $250 promotional price now to users of the
 existing Microsoft SQL Server for OS/2 product to upgrade to SybaseUs
 WorkGroup SQL Server 10 on the OS/2 operating system.  This promotion is
 scheduled to last through the end of October 1994.  In addition, for
 those customers interested in replication capabilities, Sybase, for a
 limited time, is offering the Replication Server* product with the
 WorkGroup SQL Server bundle for an additional $9,995 per server.  The
 Replication Server promotion is scheduled to last through the end of the
 1994 calendar year.

 Sybase, Inc.
        Sybase, Inc. (NASDAQ:  SYBS) is one of the fastest-growing suppliers of
 client/server-based software products and services for on-line
 enterprise-wide applications.  Sybase's integrated family of software
 includes database servers, tools, connectivity and systems management
 products, providing complete desktop-to-mainframe solutions.
 Headquartered in Emeryville, CA,  Sybase reported 1993 sales of $427
 million, an increase of 61% over 1992.  For the first half of 1994,
 SybaseUs revenues grew 68% to $296 million. Sybase markets its products
 worldwide through its direct sales force, telesales, distributors, OEMs,
 VARs and Systems Integrators.
 # # #

 SYBASE, WorkGroup SQL Server, SQL Server,  Open Client, SQL Server
 Manager, SQL Server Monitor, BackUp Server, System 10, Replication
 Server, Replication Manager, Open Server, Desktop Support, and Open
 Solutions are trademarks of Sybase, Inc.   All other company and product
 names may be trademarks of the respective companies with which they are
 associated.

SYBASE, HEWLETT-PACKARD TEAM TO PROVIDE SERVICE, SUPPORT FOR
 WORKGROUP-LEVEL SYBASE CUSTOMERS
 Alliance Leverages Sybase's Strengths in Database Service and HP's
 Expertise Supporting Workgroups

 EMERYVILLE, CA, October 3, 1994 -- Sybase, Inc., The Enterprise
 Client/Server Company*, and Hewlett-Packard Company today announced an
 alliance in which the companies will jointly provide service and support
 to Sybase's workgroup-level customers.
        Under the terms of the agreement, Sybase customers will continue
 to receive high-quality database support with the added benefit of HP's
 experience providing service to workgroup-level users.  Among the Sybase
 customers to benefit from the Sybase/HP alliance are those using the new
 SYBASE( Workgroup SQL Server*10 product bundle, and those using Sybase
 products in conjunction with workgroup-level operating systems such as
 NovellUs NetWare and MicrosoftUs Windows NT.
        "We are teaming with HP's Worldwide Response Center Organization
 because of its excellent reputation providing service in low-end server
 environments.  This, combined with Sybase's superior reputation for
 database support, gives our workgroup-level customers unmatched
 service," said Stu Schuster, executive vice president of marketing for
 Sybase.
        SybaseUs customer service and support business unit currently is
 comprised of more than 500 people in 14 support centers worldwide.
        "HP has worked with Sybase in the delivery of client/server solutions
 to customers for six years," said Mark Solle, general manager of HP's
 Software Services Technology Division.  "This agreement, not only
 strengthens our relationship with one of the world's leading
 client/server software providers, but it also enhances our multi-vendor
 support portfolio."

 One Virtual Service Organization
        According to the agreement, Sybase and HP essentially act as a single
 support organization.  As part of an ongoing program, HP support
 engineers involved in this alliance have been given extensive

read more »

October '94 Sybase Press Release

Post by Benjamin G. Sla » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 02:52:39

Quote:> EMERYVILLE, CA, October 3, 1994 -- Sybase, Inc., today announced the
> availability of SYBASE( WorkGroup SQL Server* 10,  SybaseUs SQL Server*
> 10 bundled with desktop utility products, available on the common
> PC-server operating systems: Windows NT, NetWare, OS/2 and PC-server
> UNIX.  The bundle, available for up to 100 users, is priced for the
> PC-server market.  Components of the bundle include:  SYBASE SQL Server
> 10, Open Client*, SQL Server Manager*, SQL Server Monitor* and BackUp
> Server*.   SybaseUs WorkGroup SQL Server is fully functional SYBASE
> System 10* technology, including standard System 10 architecture and
> performance features, making the new bundle 100% compatible with all
> Sybase technologies.

Whenever I see these announcements I'm always bothered
by the lack of preciseness.  For example, referring to the
above paragraph:

What's the difference between WorkGroup SQL Server* 10 and
SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?  What is SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?  What
kind of notation is SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?  How do you pronounce
SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?

What's the difference between SYBASE SQL Server 10 (middle of
the paragraph) and WorkGroup SQL Server* 10 (beginning of the
paragraph)?  When it says, "Components of the bundle", which bundle is
it talking about, WorkGroup SQL Server* 10 or SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?

Typical marketing droids.  They take a few simple products
and rename them to the point where nobody can figure out
what's going on.

Just so that this isn't a total flame: I'm glad to see these
products coming out and I hope they give Microsoft a run for
it's money.

---

           "You don't have to trust me if you can get me to trust you."
           Humphrey Bogart in The Maltese Falcon

Opinions stated above are definitely my own and have nothing to
do with who or where I'm currently working.

Post by Anne Janz » Sun, 09 Oct 1994 04:58:34

> What's the difference between WorkGroup SQL Server* 10 and
> SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?  What is SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?  What
> kind of notation is SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?  How do you pronounce
> SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?

Actually, it looks like they used right and left apostrophes and quotation
marks throughout, which were substituted in the posting by extraneous
characters. So SybaseUs SQL Server, I guess, is supposed to be Sybase's SQL
Server.  You'll notice that all the quotation marks are strange characters
as well. I don't know
what the left paren is supposed to be, but I'll assume it's something along
the same lines.

So much for pretty quotes.

Anne Janzer
DataTools, Inc

Post by Bret Halfo » Fri, 14 Oct 1994 14:23:22

|> > EMERYVILLE, CA, October 3, 1994 -- Sybase, Inc., today announced the
|> > availability of SYBASE( WorkGroup SQL Server* 10,  SybaseUs SQL Server*
|> > 10 bundled with desktop utility products, available on the common
|> > PC-server operating systems: Windows NT, NetWare, OS/2 and PC-server
|> > UNIX.  The bundle, available for up to 100 users, is priced for the
|> > PC-server market.  Components of the bundle include:  SYBASE SQL Server
|> > 10, Open Client*, SQL Server Manager*, SQL Server Monitor* and BackUp
|> > Server*.   SybaseUs WorkGroup SQL Server is fully functional SYBASE
|> > System 10* technology, including standard System 10 architecture and
|> > performance features, making the new bundle 100% compatible with all
|> > Sybase technologies.
|>
|> Whenever I see these announcements I'm always bothered
|> by the lack of preciseness.  For example, referring to the
|> above paragraph:
|>
|> What's the difference between WorkGroup SQL Server* 10 and
|> SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?  What is SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?  What
|> kind of notation is SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?  How do you pronounce
|> SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?

Well, I can explain part of this.  See, the marketing droid created the press
release on a Macintosh, probably using Microsoft Word, and he had the so-called
"smart quotes" turned on.  On the Mac, this substitutes a typographically
beautiful curly hyphen from the Mac's extended character set for the boring
straight hyphen "'" we are stuck with here on Usenet.  However, when
posted, one of the bits gets stripped off and it is displayed as a low-ascii "U".

If text had been quoted in the post, you would have seen opening double-quote
characters substituted with "R", and closing ones with "S".  This is a common
problem, there are probably lots of examples in posts throughout the comp.mac.*
groups.  (Oh, yes.  Just guessing, but "*" is probably the "tm" character, and
"(" is probably the r-in-a-circle character).

Thus, SybaseUs SQL Server* 10 is probably Sybase's SQL Server(tm) 10.

Workgroup SQl Server is, as far as I know, just System 10 on Netware, bundled
with Netware licenses.  Workgroup seems to be a Netware buzzword.

|> What's the difference between SYBASE SQL Server 10 (middle of
|> the paragraph) and WorkGroup SQL Server* 10 (beginning of the
|> paragraph)?  When it says, "Components of the bundle", which bundle is
|> it talking about, WorkGroup SQL Server* 10 or SybaseUs SQL Server* 10?

I think the Workgroup bundle includes the 10.0.1 Server, plus other stuff from
Sybase and Novell. 10.0.2 will be substituted when it is released.

|> Typical marketing droids.  They take a few simple products
|> and rename them to the point where nobody can figure out
|> what's going on.

He may be a marketing droid, but he's our marketing droid.  :-)

|> Just so that this isn't a total flame: I'm glad to see these
|> products coming out and I hope they give Microsoft a run for
|> it's money.

| Sybase Technical Support                                    __|
| 6475 Christie Avenue                                       |__
| Emeryville, CA 94608 USA                                      |___
| fax: (510)-922-3911              exec sp_realitycheck()           |