Sorting a View or "bcp out" file.

Post by Jeff Zeldin » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I've got a view with a half-million rows in it.  The view is a result of
a table join between two tables, each of a half-million rows.

We are using this to generate a pipe-delimited flatfile, by using bcp to
generate the file.   Speed of generation is of the essence, as this is a
time critical batch process.

I need to do two things:

1. Apply a "where" type clause to the bcp to selectively generate
multiple files from the data
2. sort the data in the output file, using bcp (unless there's a better
method).

I've already tried to apply a sort to the view, but Sybase doesn't let
you do that.    And I have no idea how to apply where clauses or sorting
to a bcp out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jeff

--

D&IS Manager             Phone: (416) 979-0050 x2006
Image Impression Inc.    Web:   www.image-impression.com

1. bcp text file with "" identifiers

I'm trying to use bcp to copy a comma delimited text file with ""
identifiers.  My problem is this.

The instance of sqlserver is on my D: drive and the database is on my
G: drive.  This is what I have:

d:\MSSQL$MYINSTANCE>bcp g:\mydata\MyDB..MyTable in a:\Mytextfile.txt
-n -t"," -m50 -hTABLOCK -T

I'm getting "Cannot open database requested in login 'g:\mydata\MyDB'.
Login fails.

I've tried using "-SMyServer/MSSQL$MYINSTANCE" with this but come up
with "Server cannot be found.

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.  The text file has over 1
million records and this is the only way I know of uploading it to
SQL.

Thanks in advance.

2. Database Use or Table Use

3. max of ("...","...","..")

4. VA-DBA

5. Why is "SORT by DESC" slower than "SORT BY ASC"

6. List of research institutes WANTED

7. how can I make numbers sort so "100" sorts after "20"

8. Question: Stored Procedure Problem

9. sa CAN "xp_cmdshell bcp blabla", other users cannot

10. BCP "HOW-TO"?

11. BCP - text qualifiers ""

12. "function sequence error" with BCP

13. problem with the command "bcp"