Read only roles or accounts

Post by Kennet » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:13:37

How can I set an account or role so that it only have read access to the
database? I have check the doc. that it only allow me to grant that right on
the table level.

Read only roles or accounts

Post by Jaso » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:41:24

> How can I set an account or role so that it only have read access to the
> database? I have check the doc. that it only allow me to grant that right on
> the table level.

you have to explicitly grant select access on each table to the read
only role.  Its not that hard to setup - just a pain to keep it up to date.

1. App Role and guest account

Hi,
I have the following situation: An application needs to access tables
and execute stored procedures on different databases using only one
connection if possible. To avoid highly privileged user (NT) accounts,
I want to use an application role. The only way I know to e.g. execute
queries over more than one db is to have the app role in the one and
an appropriately privileged guest account in all other databases.
However, any other application using a maybe different application
role could gain the privileges of those guest accounts, which I think
should be avoided. Is there any way around this probably well-known
dilemma? Maybe to have the same application roles defined in all
relevant databases and have those linked in a way "normal" users would
be linked via a login? Any ideas are much welcome!
Thanks in advance,

Stephan

2. BusinessObjects report writer info

3. Application Roles and guest accounts

4. Re. BDE - Network Initialization Error

5. SA account and SA role

6. Yukon is there a way to get a beta

7. Cube role definition - local sql account

8. TechTip: Non-maintained indexes are instantly "out of date"

9. Account permissions (server role?) in EM

10. Giving dbo account ability to change password without sysadmin role

11. Account permissions (server role?) in EM

12. Increase maximum role for sys account

13. Reading Role Permissions via DSO and VB