Sybase ASE 12.0 monitoring tool

Post by Patrick Robe » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 06:36:53

I am currently encountering performance with my Sybase ASE 12.0. Since
the application was bought, I can't look at the data model.
I am looking for some monitoring tool, that could give stats on which
and how often tables, indexes, proc stocked are used.
I have heard about Cyrano, but since the company bankrupt few months
ago, I am not sure I'll be able to find a trial.
Does anyone know what tool I could use?

Thanks

Patrick

Post by Michael Pepple » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 08:59:01

> I am currently encountering performance with my Sybase ASE 12.0. Since
> the application was bought, I can't look at the data model. I am looking
> for some monitoring tool, that could give stats on which and how often
> tables, indexes, proc stocked are used. I have heard about Cyrano, but
> since the company bankrupt few months ago, I am not sure I'll be able to
> find a trial. Does anyone know what tool I could use?

You can do various things.

First, you should be able to extract the data model from the database
itself (unless the vendor has used sp_hidetext to scramble the source to
the datamodel, etc.) - there are various free tools to do so, among them
dbschema.pl, a perl script (see http://www.midsomer.org for details).

You can also turn on auditing for the database in question. This should
allow you to record all or part of the database activity. See the Sybase
System Administration manual for details on how to turn on auditing.

Michael

Post by Anthony Mandi » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:54:10

> I am currently encountering performance with my Sybase ASE 12.0. Since
> the application was bought, I can't look at the data model.

        Of course you can.

Quote:> I am looking for some monitoring tool, that could give stats on which
> and how often tables, indexes, proc stocked are used.

        You could use Sybase Monitor Server, Historical Server,
        auditing, the system sprocs sp_sysmon and sp_object_stats.
        These all do different things. I would suggest sp_sysmon
        first to get a heads up on where the bottleneck most likely
        is. Note you can also pester your application vendor.

-am     ? 2002

Sybase ASE 12.0 monitoring tool

Post by willy_and_the_ciga » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 19:03:54

You can use poor man's monitoring tool

sp_sysmon;)

--
www.MainFrameForum.com - USENET Gateway

Sybase ASE 12.0 monitoring tool

Post by Pablo Sanche » Fri, 15 Feb 2002 00:48:02

Quote:> You can use poor man's monitoring tool

> sp_sysmon;)

... and a darn good one!
--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
www.hpdbe.com

Sybase ASE 12.0 monitoring tool

Post by Alberto Sayne » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 00:53:17

Cyrano closed offices in France but still alive in US and still working. I
think you can get a trial version or talk to Chris Leblanc, who can help you
with this.

Cheers.

Quote:> I am currently encountering performance with my Sybase ASE 12.0. Since
> the application was bought, I can't look at the data model.
> I am looking for some monitoring tool, that could give stats on which
> and how often tables, indexes, proc stocked are used.
> I have heard about Cyrano, but since the company bankrupt few months
> ago, I am not sure I'll be able to find a trial.
> Does anyone know what tool I could use?

> Thanks

> Patrick

1. Paradox 8 & Sybase ASE 12.0

Our company decided to by a new back-end database but keep our in-house
application that is written in ObjectPAL. Right now I'm testing Sybase ASE
12.0 and I have an issue. A copied the tables over to the new database. I'm
accessing into the database through an ODBC connection. Everything works
fine, except that each tcursor or database variable keeps a process
(connection) open to the database while the form or library is open where
they were opened from. I've tried using postRecord(), endEdit(), and close()
to close the process but it stays open till I don't close the form or
library.

Thanks for any help!

2. Urgent help! Problems after upgraded 7.33 > 8.05

3. Online Documentation for Sybase ASE 12.0

4. Oracle DBA needed in Southern NJ - Will Train!

5. How to install Sybase ASE 12.0 in laptop?

6. Dealing with Hyperlinks

7. Sybase ASE 12.0 and HP-UX 11i

8. Wav file

9. ADO 2.6 - Command Execution and Sybase ASE 12.0 Driver

10. ADO.NET OLE DB connection string to Sybase ASE 12.0

12. bcp in Ase 11.5.1 syslogins to ASE 12.0 not working

13. Sybase 12 (ASE) drivers Slower than Sybase 11.