Device Naming Conventions

Post by Carter Glas » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

What is there an accepted practice in naming Sybase devices?
One school of thought names devices after the things
they will contain; i.e. database "FRED" is on the
"FRED_DB_DEVICE."  Another school names devices things
such as "DATA1" or "LOG1." I tend to prefer the latter,
since the former makes the server implementation dependent,
but this seems to be the minority position.  I have agreed
to post this question to the newsgroup and abide by the majority
opinion.

Device Naming Conventions

Post by Simon Walke » Wed, 22 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> What is there an accepted practice in naming Sybase devices?
> One school of thought names devices after the things
> they will contain; i.e. database "FRED" is on the
> "FRED_DB_DEVICE."  Another school names devices things
> such as "DATA1" or "LOG1." I tend to prefer the latter,
> since the former makes the server implementation dependent,
> but this seems to be the minority position.  I have agreed
> to post this question to the newsgroup and abide by the majority
> opinion.

I definitely favour indicating the intended use of the device by its name
- most device names I use tend to be along the lines of data1, data2,
index1, index2, log1, log2, etc.  If it's not clear from physname how
these devices relate to real disks or disk sets, then include some
indication of that in the name too if it helps.
FRED_DB_DEVICE is too specific - allocations come and go - especially
with raw partitions on UNIX where you have to assign the whole damn
partition in one go, which is then rarely used by only a single database.

However, not something I'd get excessively worked up about...

Cheers,
simon walker
The SQL Workshop
Milton Keynes, UK

1. Device Size and Naming Conventions

1. Is it better to spit up a partition into multiple devices

                              OR

if the NT partition is 8GB in size just to have one device (8GB)
and define all the databases on it !?!?

2. Are there any documents availble that define standard naming
conventions and guidlelines used in setting up MS SQL Servers.

Thanks in advance!

2. updating database that already has data?

3. naming conventions for table/column names

4. Is SQL Server causing IIS to fail?

5. ADP Object naming convention problem

6. Is process alive?

7. Table Naming Convention Questions