What is OpenServer ?

Post by Natarajan V Nellicherr » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

hi there,
i hv heard about this OpenServer, but am not clear as to what
this does.  can it replace the SQL Server or is it a Server-
based layer between Open-client clients and the SQL Server.
If this can replace the SQL Server, how can it handle all the
concurrency, i/o, locking, multi-threading, caching and all
the other multi-various operations of the SQL Server.

sorry, i hvnt checked the sybase web page, for any technical
white papers.  will check b4 end of the day.  still, wld
appreciate, if anyone responds.
tia
Natarajan V Nellicherry
Mayo Foundation
(507) 281- 4548 (H)
(507) 266 - 5022 (W)
(507) 284 - 1927 (Fax)

Inspite of my best efforts the contents herein may be
incorrect, and should be used at readers own risk.

What is OpenServer ?

Post by Chris Bake » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> hi there,
> i hv heard about this OpenServer, but am not clear as to what
> this does.  can it replace the SQL Server or is it a Server-
> based layer between Open-client clients and the SQL Server.
> If this can replace the SQL Server, how can it handle all the
> concurrency, i/o, locking, multi-threading, caching and all
> the other multi-various operations of the SQL Server.

> sorry, i hvnt checked the sybase web page, for any technical
> white papers.  will check b4 end of the day.  still, wld
> appreciate, if anyone responds.
> tia

Open Server/Open Client are basically the API communication layers used
between clients and Sybase servers.

Open Server is the Sybase API component layer which talks to Open Clients.
Every Sybase Server product is an instance of an Open Server.  Products
like Sybase DirectCONNECT are used to put an Open Server front ends on
other data sources such as Oracle.

By writing Open Server servers, you can connect to other sources such as
stock tickers, etc and they will appear to the client as just another
Sybase server.  Sybase IQ is another example of an Open Server which also
contains an Open Client.  The Open Server talks to the user, the Open
Client talks to the Sybase Server used as a catalog for the metadata.

You can also extend the functionality of Sybase SQL Servers by writing Open
Servers for specialty datatypes, etc.  Sybase has actually had specialty
datatype capabilities since Open Server was introduced (contrary to what
the competition has had to do).

Chris Baker