Looking for isql alternative with command line editing...

Looking for isql alternative with command line editing...

Post by Ian Orfo » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Sorry this could be considered off topic...

I once had the source to a version of isql which had command line
editing in the same way as ksh. Can anyone remind me what it was
called, or better still, tell me where I can get it.

Thanks in advance....
-----------

IMO Systems Ltd.

Post by luc van der veur » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Sorry this could be considered off topic...

: I once had the source to a version of isql which had command line
: editing in the same way as ksh. Can anyone remind me what it was
: called, or better still, tell me where I can get it.

There are different replacements of isql. I only know sqsh. It
can be found at: 'http://www.voicenet.com/~gray'.

In fact, I installed it on our Solaris system yesterday. I can
really recommend it !!!

You also need the GNU readline library (libreadline.a) to have
emacs/vi style keyboard editing (see the sqsh-INSTALL file).

I had some problems installing readline, but installing sqsh
went fine.

Luc.

| Luc Van der Veurst            ISUG Enhancements Co-Chair  |
| Academic Hospital, VUB        Voice : 32 - 2 477 69 80    |
| Laarbeeklaan 101              Fax   : 32 - 2 477 69 75    |

Next ISUG Conference :   Barcelona, Spain  October 13-16 1996

Looking for isql alternative with command line editing...

Post by fn.. » Mon, 15 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Sorry this could be considered off topic...

>I once had the source to a version of isql which had command line
>editing in the same way as ksh. Can anyone remind me what it was
>called, or better still, tell me where I can get it.

I suspect you are thinking of dsql, which was written by David Joyner at
North Carolina State University and was available via ftp from some
..ncs.edu address which I have lost.

If this is the case, though, I would urge you in the strongest possible terms
to abandon dsql and instead look into sqsh, a new isql substitute written
by Scott Gray which is far superior to dsql in every way.  See
http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/sqsh.html

>Thanks in advance....
>-----------

>IMO Systems Ltd.

regards,

Mark

1. Alternative command using i4gl instead of isql

Hello there,

I'm having a problem determining the right command to use in place of isql.
Right now, I'm using this:

$ isql dbase-name file.sql

file.sql contains the following line:
select * from table-name where column1 = 1

Is there another way of doing this command via i4gl from the command
prompt instead of going thru the menu selecting 'Q'uery-language,
selecting the database, selecting 'N'ew? What I need is something similar to:

$ i4gl ??????

We have the I-SQL and the STANDARD ENGINE version 4.00. (C-compiler version)

Pls. email me if you know the answer! Thanks.
--
John Fontanilla       |  Work: (203) 790-9921 AOH: (203) 350-3841

100 Mill Plain Rd.    | Views expressed does not reflect that of my employers.
Danbury, CT 08611     | Maligayang bati sa inyo!!! :)

2. Newby Query Question

3. ISQL COMMAND line problem

4. SQL queries with variables--How do I do this?

5. ISQL command-line switch

6. ct-lib: error handling in multi-threaded applications - how ?

7. How to get command line argument when running a script through ISQL

8. Scrollable ResultSet and Connection

9. isql command line programming

10. running isql from command line

11. isql command line

12. using switch /c in ISQL command line

13. isql error on the command line.