Proxy-Tables?

Post by Christian Puchbaue » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I recently read in the newsgroup that there exists a possibility to
define
proxy-table on the Enterprise server 11.5,
which makes it possible to use tables in databases on other
Sybase-servers
in SQL-Stats.
Can anyone tell me more about it?
I'd highly appreciate an example.

Christian

Proxy-Tables?

Post by me » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I recently read in the newsgroup that there exists a possibility to
> define
> proxy-table on the Enterprise server 11.5,
> which makes it possible to use tables in databases on other
> Sybase-servers
> in SQL-Stats.
> Can anyone tell me more about it?
> I'd highly appreciate an example.

> Christian

Hi,

I've only just found out about this myself today. All I have so far is
that you do something similar to:

  EXECUTE sp_addobjectdef 'local_table_name',
'remote_server.database.owner.table_name'
  GO

followed by

  CREATE EXISTING TABLE local_table_name (
    [...table definition goes here...]
  )
  GO

And that's it!  You can then refer to the table as though it resides on
your dataserver, and it will appear in Show Plan as being accessed
remotely.

All I need to know is how to configure Sybase to allow this to happen
(something to do with master..sysservers).
Hope this points you in the right direction.

Proxy-Tables?

Post by BreitMa » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Yes you can and it is great. I have had the opportunity to use the proxy tables
quite a bit, and they do exactly as they indicate. You can now directly
reference, including update if you have things set up properly, tables and
rpc's on other database servers.

One issue is that of security. Make sure you set up the login mapings via the
sp_addexternlogin procedure.

Also, cross server (sybase to sybase) transactional consistency is available.
I've tried it and it works.

Finally, if you want to push the envelope, try using the rpc to table mapping.
Now you can treat the results of a stored procedure as if it were a table,
including creating a cursor based upon the results of a select inside a called
stored procedure.

Hope this helps.

Marc

Proxy-Tables?

Post by AnaMaria Stirbe » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I recently read in the newsgroup that there exists a possibility to
> define
> proxy-table on the Enterprise server 11.5,
> which makes it possible to use tables in databases on other
> Sybase-servers
> in SQL-Stats.
> Can anyone tell me more about it?
> I'd highly appreciate an example.

> Christian

Hi Christian,

In your ASE 11.5 box there is a book
"Component Integration Services User's Guide for Adaptive Server
Enterprise and Omni Connect".
The books has all the information you need to set this up.

Ana Stirbet
Sybase Tech Support

1. proxy tables in MSSQL 7.0???

Does MSSQL have the ability to use proxy tables?  If so can you tell me
where I can find some information on it.

Thank You,
Jaime McGeathy
MS SQL/Sybase DBA
Maritz Travel Co.

2. Oracle 9i Apps

3. Proxy Table: Sybase 12.5 to MS SQL Server 2000

4. HELP!!! What RDBMS should I use?

5. proxy tables & Delphi

6. PDOX 7 FOR NT

7. Proxy table and <seq> scans

8. PB with DBDATE (IUS2000)

9. Sybase and proxy tables

10. Proxy Table

11. Proxy table - can't connect to remote server

12. proxy tables on the same dataserver