Using MS Access via ODBC to go against Sybase System 11

Using MS Access via ODBC to go against Sybase System 11

Post by Scott Dea » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

We have several Sybase servers and several departments around campus
have written applications in MS Access 2.0 to retrieve data from these
servers.  While most of the servers are running Sybase SQL Server 4.x,
one of the primary servers was upgraded to System 11 and now the Access
applications are broken!  The clients are running Windows 3.1, Access
2.0 and using SQLSRVR.DLL with Open Client/4.x drivers to access the
servers via TCP/IP.

What can we do to resolve this?  What do we need to update?

Would Open Client/10 drivers fix this?  How can we get MS Access to talk
to these drivers (i.e. how do I set it up in ODBC)?  Can SQLSRVR.DLL
talk to Open Client/10?

Thanks for the info!

-- Scott Dean
   NC State Univ.
   Raleigh, NC

Post by Vance Pa » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> We have several Sybase servers and several departments around campus
> have written applications in MS Access 2.0 to retrieve data from these
> servers.  While most of the servers are running Sybase SQL Server 4.x,
> one of the primary servers was upgraded to System 11 and now the Access
> applications are broken!  The clients are running Windows 3.1, Access
> 2.0 and using SQLSRVR.DLL with Open Client/4.x drivers to access the
> servers via TCP/IP.

> What can we do to resolve this?  What do we need to update?

> Would Open Client/10 drivers fix this?  How can we get MS Access to talk
> to these drivers (i.e. how do I set it up in ODBC)?  Can SQLSRVR.DLL
> talk to Open Client/10?

> Thanks for the info!

> -- Scott Dean
>    NC State Univ.
>    Raleigh, NC

Hi,

You can try out our SimbaExpress.  SimbaExpress contains the ODBC driver
which allows you to access data in Sybase System 11.  And the advantage
is that you have little setup to do on your clients (running Access);
almost all the install and the maintenance are done on the server.

Vance

Vance Pan
Simba Technologies Inc.

To download a free version of SimbaExpress, visit
http://www.simbatech.com/express

To find out more about Simba Software Development Kits, visit
http://www.simbatech.com/sdk

Using MS Access via ODBC to go against Sybase System 11

Post by Hicham To » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

You can try using the ODBC drivers that come with System 11. That's
what we installed on each client and it works perfect. All you need
to do is install it, then configure a new datasource in ODBC manager
and from that point on you can use MS Access 2.0, 7.0, or even VB.
(Just remember the unique index trick).
Good Luck

Download SQL Breeze FREE at http://www.zteksystems.com.
The ultimate development tool for creating and managing database
objects (Sybase system 10/11 and MS SQL Server 6.x)