raw vs filesystem

Post by pellegrino stephan » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 23:54:37

Hi everybody...

I would like to know what is the better way for a database
raw device or filesystem...
I've heard all and nothing about it...

Could you help to see more clearly !?

thanx

raw vs filesystem

Post by Ivan Santhumayo » Tue, 01 May 2001 02:26:24

Raw device is recommended for all databases except for tempdb where
filesystem will be lot faster. This is based on more emphasis on
recovery problems with filesystem buffering and the nature of syslogs.
In system 12 however the filesystem dsync option will override this
limitation

> Hi everybody...

> I would like to know what is the better way for a database
> raw device or filesystem...
> I've heard all and nothing about it...

> Could you help to see more clearly !?

> thanx

raw vs filesystem

Post by Josephedu » Fri, 11 May 2001 11:09:25

You might also be interested in Veritas Filesystems. They give about equal
performance with filesystems as raw filesystems. Typically, with filesystems
you don't get asynch I/O, with raw you do, so raw is generally faster. With
Veritas Filesystems with the database accelerator you get asynch I/O without
the issue of corrupting the data. The upside, from Unix persepective it is
easier to setup filesystems. From your perspective, though, it is easier to
accidently delete a filesystem file.