C++ wrappers for ctlib??

Post by Benjamin Scherr » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

        I'm about to embark on development of a C++ application that will be
using ctlib to talk to Sybase 11.0.3 servers running under SCO & Linux. I was
wondering if anyone's bothered to wrap the ctlib calls in a class wrapper in
order to make a cleaner interface. If not, I imagine that I'll be doing this
as I have very little patience for plain-ol-c apis these days. Anyone
interested in such code if I have to develop it? I expect to use gcc-2.95.x
for this effort and 100% ANSI compliant C++ code.

        thanx & later,

                Ben Scherrey
                Proteus Technologies, inc.
                www.proteus-tech.com

PS: If there's another option that's recommended for C++ developers I'd be
interested but I don't want anything that requires a code preprocessor so
embedded SQL is right out.

C++ wrappers for ctlib??

Post by Ray DiMarcell » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I suppose people interested in such code might be using one of the products
already on the market like Rogue Wave's DBTools.h++ ...

RD

>        I'm about to embark on development of a C++ application that will
be
>using ctlib to talk to Sybase 11.0.3 servers running under SCO & Linux. I
was
>wondering if anyone's bothered to wrap the ctlib calls in a class wrapper
in
>order to make a cleaner interface. If not, I imagine that I'll be doing
this
>as I have very little patience for plain-ol-c apis these days. Anyone
>interested in such code if I have to develop it? I expect to use gcc-2.95.x
>for this effort and 100% ANSI compliant C++ code.

>        thanx & later,

>                Ben Scherrey
>                Proteus Technologies, inc.
>                www.proteus-tech.com

>PS: If there's another option that's recommended for C++ developers I'd be
>interested but I don't want anything that requires a code preprocessor so
>embedded SQL is right out.

C++ wrappers for ctlib??

Post by anon.m.. » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Benjamin Scherrey

OpenClient is in C.
You could try Roughewave which has C++ wrappers.

Sapere Aude (Dare to know) Immanuel Kant

This message consists of reclycled electrons only!!

C++ wrappers for ctlib??

Post by Benjamin Scherr » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>I suppose people interested in such code might be using one of the products
>already on the market like Rogue Wave's DBTools.h++ ...

        I wasn't aware that Rouge Wave wrapped ctlib calls. Checking it out
on their website and it appears that they do although that will be an
additional $1750 on top of the $1550 for the base product. Perhaps on a
project with a fast deadline and more complexity of database access but I
can't justify that here and, FWIW, I've always been quite unimpressed with
Rouge Wave's abstractions.

        What I was hoping for was something a bit more basic that handled the
concept of connection to a server, executing a dynamic SQL statement, then
populating a container via an insertion iterator with the results. Complex
features might be better stored procedure calls or data cursors. I expect it
to be about two days to implement which is why I expect that others have
already done this.

        thanx & later,

                Ben Scherrey
                Proteus Technologies, Inc.
                www.proteus-tech.com

C++ wrappers for ctlib??

Post by Alex Hornb » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> What I was hoping for was something a bit more basic that handled the
> concept of connection to a server, executing a dynamic SQL statement, then
> populating a container via an insertion iterator with the results. Complex
> features might be better stored procedure calls or data cursors. I expect it
> to be about two days to implement which is why I expect that others have
> already done this.

>         thanx & later,

>                 Ben Scherrey
>                 Proteus Technologies, Inc.
>                 www.proteus-tech.com

There is an free ODBC wrapper lib for UNIX/Win32. See

http://www.orcane.net/freeodbc++/

It should at least provide some ideas.

--

Anvil Software Limited                         Tel:    +(44)171 749 7900
51-53 Rivington Street

C++ wrappers for ctlib??

Post by Michael Zarleng » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: I suppose people interested in such code might be using one of the products
: already on the market like Rogue Wave's DBTools.h++ ...

$2,000 for wrappers?

You've gotta be kidding.

--
-- Mike Zarlenga

   Gun Control is OSHA for criminals.

C++ wrappers for ctlib??

Post by Benjamin Scherr » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Not only that but I registered online to be able to download more detailed
information from RougeWave. The next day I got an email and a phone call from
their sales staff just raring to sell me all their stuff. I don't think I'm
going to return the call or the email...

>: I suppose people interested in such code might be using one of the products
>: already on the market like Rogue Wave's DBTools.h++ ...

>$2,000 for wrappers?

>You've gotta be kidding.

C++ wrappers for ctlib??

Post by Michael Zarleng » Sun, 12 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: Not only that but I registered online to be able to download more detailed
: information from RougeWave. The next day I got an email and a phone call from
: their sales staff just raring to sell me all their stuff. I don't think I'm
: going to return the call or the email...

Doing the work from scratch would take, maybe 6 months, tops.
Even at big city contractor prices, that's only $50K for the
whole package, and YOU OWN IT.

And can SELL IT.  Shit, I may just do this in my spare time
and distribute it as voluntary $20/copy shareware.

--
-- Mike Zarlenga

   Gun Control is OSHA for criminals.

C++ wrappers for ctlib??

Post by Ray DiMarcell » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Yeah, that'll really get them ...

RD

>Not only that but I registered online to be able to download more detailed
>information from RougeWave. The next day I got an email and a phone call
from
>their sales staff just raring to sell me all their stuff. I don't think I'm
>going to return the call or the email...

>>: I suppose people interested in such code might be using one of the
products
>>: already on the market like Rogue Wave's DBTools.h++ ...

>>$2,000 for wrappers?

>>You've gotta be kidding.

C++ wrappers for ctlib??

Post by Ray DiMarcell » Sat, 09 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Whatever - write it yourself then ... I'm sure it'll be just as good as
theirs ...