Post by Neville Higg » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 22:44:52

For test purposes and due to lack of capacity on another maschine I want to
reload a dump on the same server but under a different database name. Is
this possible ? How ?

Thanks fof any help.
--
Neville Higgs
WAZ-Mediengruppe

Post by Ivan Santhumayo » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 00:28:30

yes its possible.
Create the new database with new name (use FOR LOAD to save initialization
time)
Then load from the backup

load database <new db name> from <backup file of original db>

> For test purposes and due to lack of capacity on another maschine I want to
> reload a dump on the same server but under a different database name. Is
> this possible ? How ?

> Thanks fof any help.
> --
> Neville Higgs
> WAZ-Mediengruppe

1. dump and load with different named segments?

All,
   I am going to be creating a new dataserver. The old dataserver was
set up with multiple (small) devices (segmented) for performance
reasons. But testing has shown that striping with segmentation (over
not so many small devices, with fewer segments) is just as fast and
much simpler to administer! The main reason is that not that many
devices get hit at once. The database is going to grow pretty large, so
I don't want to be limited by the number of devices (max). I'd like to
have multiple 4 gig or 8 gig devices, instead of the many 1 gig as
currently.
I don't think there is an easy way to migrate to new devices without
totally messing up the segmentation. BCP would be a nightmare given the
size of the database (60 + gigs), not to mention many tables. Maybe
cross server 'select into' (which is giving me problems on a test
server)?
Thanks in advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Database Shrink / Auto-extend

3. Restore database to a different database name

4. qbe -> sql

5. load different Databases

6. best practice

7. Dumping database in an other format for loading on devices with different organisation

8. Database Device Size

9. Same Dimension but using different names gave different cube results

10. Different views with same name for different users

11. One database server with different character set and sort order for different database

12. can SQL name be DIFFERENT to computer name?