Open Client vs ODBC

Post by Li Zhan » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I want to develop a client-side application using VC++4.0 to connect the
back-end DBMS (e.g. Sybase, MS SQL Server, SQL Anywhere, Oracle) for
mostly BLOB data retrieving. Can anyone tell me which product is better
for such kind of application, Open Client library or ODBC API? I want to
know the performance comparasion of these two products.

Thank you inadvance for your help.
--
Li Zhang (Ph.D)
Department of Geography

Open Client vs ODBC

Post by Li Zhan » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I want to develop a client-side application using VC++4.0 to connect the
back-end DBMS (eg. SQL Anywhere, Sybase, Oracle, MS SQL Server) to access
mostly BLOB data. Can anybody tell me which one is better for such kind of
applications, Open Client library or ODBC drivers? I would like to know
the performance comparasion of these two products.

Thank you in advance for any of your help.
--
Li Zhang (Ph.D)
Department of Geography
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Shatin, NT, Hong Kong

1. Open Client vs ODBC

Tom,
An ODBC driver will usually use Open Client.  The only alternative
I have seen is the ODBC driver from Openlink (http://www.openlink.co.uk)
and this uses a middle-tier server that their ODBC driver talks to
in which that uses Open Client instead of the PCs.

However, CT-Lib can be configured with more connections.  Is
this error happening in the PowerBuilder middleware (distributed)
rather than the client?  You should contact Powersoft to see if
you can find out if there is some parameter you can setup in
PowerBuilder to bypass this limit.  They may have something that
you can add to the transaction objects' DBParm.

--
John McVicker
Principal Consultant, District Lead Architect

http://www.sybase.com
http://www.powersoft.com
http://www.isug.com

2. Eliminate Islam Now.

3. Open Client (native calls) vs. ODBC

4. Returning values from a Text Field through Stored Procedure

5. odbc vs open client

6. replication problem

7. New client devel: ODBC, Open Client DB-Lib, OC Client-Lib preferred

8. PLEASE, NEED INFORMATION ON DATA BASES

9. open client client lib vs db lib

10. slow opening connection using w2k client vs nt client

11. What is needed to migrate from Open Client 10 to Open Client 11

12. Embedded SQL vs Open Client Libraries