Migration to Sybase 12.5

Post by Kabi » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 00:23:14

Currently, we are running sybase 11.9.2 and before migrating it to
Sybase 12.5, we are in process of evaluating whether we need to carry
out changes in front end application - PowerBuilder 6.5.
Here, I need your help with respect to.. does powerbuilder 6.5 will
allow connectivity to Sybase 12.5 or we need to migrate to higher
version of powerbuilder.
The repserver, ASE 12.5 will support?Will it support the repserver
which we are currently using with 11.9.2.

-The Sybase client connectivity tool. Do we need to migrate to 12.5 or
sybase 11.9.2 client will be able to connect to sybase 12.5 server.

I'm aslo looking for the ppt for HA (High Availability). The one I
found is in Japanese, if you know the link for the English version
please provide me the same.

Thanks a Ton for your help and taking out time for my questions.

Regards
-Kabir.

Migration to Sybase 12.5

Post by Anthony Mandi » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:40:45

> Currently, we are running sybase 11.9.2 and before migrating it to
> Sybase 12.5, we are in process of evaluating whether we need to carry
> out changes in front end application - PowerBuilder 6.5.
> Here, I need your help with respect to.. does powerbuilder 6.5 will
> allow connectivity to Sybase 12.5 or we need to migrate to higher
> version of powerbuilder.

        It should work.

Quote:> The repserver, ASE 12.5 will support?Will it support the repserver
> which we are currently using with 11.9.2.

        I don't think so. I'd check Sybase's certification matrix at
        their web site.

Quote:> -The Sybase client connectivity tool. Do we need to migrate to 12.5 or
> sybase 11.9.2 client will be able to connect to sybase 12.5 server.

        It will but the 12.5 client library supports the new features.

Quote:> I'm aslo looking for the ppt for HA (High Availability). The one I
> found is in Japanese, if you know the link for the English version
> please provide me the same.

        I'm not sure what you mean by the "ppt".

-am     ? 2003

Migration to Sybase 12.5

Post by Kabi » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:21:36

> > Currently, we are running sybase 11.9.2 and before migrating it to
> > Sybase 12.5, we are in process of evaluating whether we need to carry
> > out changes in front end application - PowerBuilder 6.5.
> > Here, I need your help with respect to.. does powerbuilder 6.5 will
> > allow connectivity to Sybase 12.5 or we need to migrate to higher
> > version of powerbuilder.

>    It should work.

> > The repserver, ASE 12.5 will support?Will it support the repserver
> > which we are currently using with 11.9.2.

>    I don't think so. I'd check Sybase's certification matrix at
>    their web site.

> > -The Sybase client connectivity tool. Do we need to migrate to 12.5 or
> > sybase 11.9.2 client will be able to connect to sybase 12.5 server.

>    It will but the 12.5 client library supports the new features.

> > I'm aslo looking for the ppt for HA (High Availability). The one I
> > found is in Japanese, if you know the link for the English version
> > please provide me the same.

>    I'm not sure what you mean by the "ppt".

> -am        ? 2003

I'm sorry for using the abbreviated form. ppt - powerpoint presentation.

Migration to Sybase 12.5

Post by Anthony Mandi » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:46:55

> > > I'm aslo looking for the ppt for HA (High Availability). The one I
> > > found is in Japanese, if you know the link for the English version
> > > please provide me the same.

> >       I'm not sure what you mean by the "ppt".

> I'm sorry for using the abbreviated form. ppt - powerpoint presentation.

        Sybase don't use PowerPoint for their docs (they do for TechWave
        presentations but that's not Sybase documentation). All Sybase
        documents are currently either presented online in HTML or as
        downloadable PDF documents.

-am     ? 2003

Migration to Sybase 12.5

Post by ap » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:29:58

> > >       I'm not sure what you mean by the "ppt".

> > I'm sorry for using the abbreviated form. ppt - powerpoint presentation.

>    Sybase don't use PowerPoint for their docs (they do for TechWave
>    presentations but that's not Sybase documentation). All Sybase
>    documents are currently either presented online in HTML or as
>    downloadable PDF documents.

How sensible. That means EVERYBODY can read them. :-)

-Andrew M.

1. URGENT: Loading Sybase 11.5.1 stored procedures to Sybase 12.5

Hi,

We are in the process of migrating our sybase servers from 11.5.1 to
12.5.
Many of our stored procedures have temporary tables that are declared
outside the CREATE PROCEDURE line.  We do not use tools such as CAST
to create stored procedures.  In fact we use notepad!!!

Our source file end up looking something like below:
CREATE TABLE #TEMPTABLE
(
Column_1         INT,
Column_2         VARCHAR(254)
.
.
.
)
Go

CREATE PROCEDURE My_Procedure
As
.
.
Select column_1, Column_2 From #TEMPTABLE
.
Return 1
Go

DROP TABLE #TEMPTABLE
Go
The problem is that because we can not do a dump from 11.5.1 to 12.5,
we have to recreate the procedures manually. Unfortunately, the
temporary tables declarations are not stored in syscomments, so the
stored procedures do not compile.
Obviously, we have the source code for these, but I would like to know
if there is another way of getting the stored procedures across to the
new server.

Thanks
Nirmal

2. Dinner

3. Sybase 12.5 versus Sybase 11.9

4. stored procedure

5. Trigger of SQL connected SERVER 6.5 to SYBASE 12.5

6. Problem enabling Full Text Search

7. Sybase 12.5 to SQL Server 2000

8. Need Help piping streaming data into ORACLE

9. Sybase ASE 12.5 on Windows 2000

10. Using UTF-8 in Sybase 12.5

11. can install in redhat 8 of sybase 12.5

12. Sybase 12.5 and Integrated/Mixed login mode

13. Sybase ASE 12.5 Security Hole