Migrating dbs from ASE 11.0.3.3 (desupported) to ASE 12.x

Migrating dbs from ASE 11.0.3.3 (desupported) to ASE 12.x

Post by Masroor A Kaz » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:29:05

Hi Folks

I am a new user to Sybase and have been entrusted the task to
investigate the upgrade from  our currently desupported ASE-11.0.3.3
to version 12.

Has anybody out there done this, and if not what should I be paying
particular attention to when doing the upgrade

Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated

Post by Anthony Mandi » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:47:15

> I am a new user to Sybase and have been entrusted the task to
> investigate the upgrade from  our currently desupported ASE-11.0.3.3
> to version 12.

        According to the upgrade chapter in the Installation Guide,
        version 11.0.x is supported for a direct upgrade.

Quote:> Has anybody out there done this, and if not what should I be paying
> particular attention to when doing the upgrade

        I haven't done this particular upgrade. But I would suggest
        setting up a test ASE 11 server of a similar configuration
        and the same EBF and trialing the upgrade and testing end user
        apps against it before trying it in production.

-am     ? 2001

Post by James Duri » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:18:11

> Hi Folks

> I am a new user to Sybase and have been entrusted the task to
> investigate the upgrade from  our currently desupported ASE-11.0.3.3
> to version 12.

> Has anybody out there done this, and if not what should I be paying
> particular attention to when doing the upgrade

> Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated

A good one to watch out for is new keywords.

If your current schema uses a word which is a keyword in newer versions
of Sybase you will have problems accessing it.

E.g. You have a table with the word when as a column name.  When became
a keyword in Sybase 11.9.2.

James

--
James Durie               Phone:  +44 20 7749 7904
Anvil Software Limited    Fax:    +44 20 7749 7916

London EC2A 3QP

Migrating dbs from ASE 11.0.3.3 (desupported) to ASE 12.x

Post by Tom McCrea » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 00:21:04

MAS,

When upgrading from 11.0.x to 11.5.1, my team found that the
optimizer's rules had changed slightly.  This caused one stored
procedure to run much more slowly.  By adding an index, the team
returned the stored procedure to its normal speed.  Sorry I can't
remember the exact details, it was years ago.  By the way, 11.0.x has
been non-supported for a while, hasn't it?  So, a good rule of thumb
would be to test all stored procedures.

More specifically, ASE 12.0.x encountered problems with async i/o in
IBM's AIX version 4.3.3.x below 4.3.3.11.

Thanks
Tom