a solution for strange sybmultbuf errors....

a solution for strange sybmultbuf errors....

Post by fr.. » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Sometime ago our linux ase server couldn't dump a major database
locally, 4000 tables, 200mb, not so big but we had a very big problem.
Anyway, zombies we're created and we got some sybmulltbuf errors.
After a long and long search we came as far as pointing the problem to
a shared memory problem. We tried everything...recompiling kernels
etc.
Nothing worked ... until:

...we found out that dumping to a remote server still did work and
after that we installed a second backupserver on our sybase server and
now we "fool" the database server by dumping "remotely" between the
two local backupserver....since then we can dump the database again
and we are not "bugged" anymore by shared memory problems and
sybmulbuf errors.

We never found out what a solution for the problem was or is...the
sybase support pages and technical faqs couldn't tell us either...but
this work and maybe it's usefull for someone else in the future.

Frank

1. Strange problem with appendchunk, stranger solution yet

I have a SQL table with an image field. The table is linked to an Access mdb
and I write to it using VBA code. We were writing new data to the image
field with the appendchunk VBA method. The data was PDF (acrobat files).
Worked fine for several months. Then had a requirement to put jpg files in
the same field. Tried using same code to appendchunk a byte array that now
contained the jpg file bytes instead of PDF files. It fails. We get an ODBC
driver error 3157. None of the conditions that would cause that error exist.
We do a test on another table with similar data structure. It works!
We realize that the only difference between the table in which we can import
and the other one that fails is that the one that fails has a primary key
constraint. We remove the primary key constraint and replace it with a
unique index and guess what. The inserts and updates to the table now work
ok.
Now problem is , previously we had immediate synchronization with another
table on another server working fine via replication. That  replicated table
had no PK constraint.  Now the replicated table does not get updated
anymore.

Now what the hey would a PKconstraint have to do with being able to update
another field or not using appendchunk when the only difference between what
works and what doesn't is the contents of the byte array being saved? The
jpg files were bigger than the PDF files but so what?

I just LOVE this sh......! <GGGGGGG> ;-)

--
Robert Dufour, MCP, MCT
President SGI IMS Inc.

2. authentication for SQL 7

3. SYBMULTBUF Errors with 11.0.3.2

4. Is there a function to format floats with two decimal places?

5. Strange WebForms error, strange Oracle answer - baffled!

6. Determining the database product that created my files

7. VB5 SQL Insert into syntax - Solution and strange behavour

8. rollback segs question

9. Very strange Clipper effect... (solution)

10. sybmultbuf defunct

11. Q: sybmultbuf failing?

12. Strange Error Log Error