Powerbuilder/c++ link Question -- Help!

Post by Andy Housem » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello everybody.  I hope this question isn't too stupid, because this is
the first time I've tried to write a DLL.  Here goes:

I'm experimenting with Powerbuilder's C++ capabilities, specifically the
C++ user object and global external functions.

If I write a C++ user object, I get a skeleton which fails to compile in
the Watcom compiler/linker.  (The documentation says that Watcom will only
compile 16-bit, but I'm working on an NT.)  So, I pull the code into
Microsoft's Visual Studio.  Everything compiles, but I get link errors
like the following:

error LNK2001:  unresolved external symbol "public: class String &

Same thing happens if I try to do *anything* with the String class in a
DLL that I construct myself (using MS Project Wizard).  If I don't use any
String, PB can understand and execute the external function just fine.

So, excuse my naivete, but I would think that either I have to link some
unknown library into my DLL, or compose some kind of IMPORTS or
__declspec(dllimport) statement.

Does anybody know what to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-- Andy Houseman

Post by Mike Swai » Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[...]

: Does anybody know what to do?

  It sounds like it's not including the VC++ runtime when it's trying to
link. You might consider trying one of the VC++ forums on Microsoft's News
server, or comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.

--
Mike Swaim, Avatar of Chaos: Disclaimer:I sometimes lie.

1. 22864-IN-Indianapolis-Analysis Skills-PowerBuilder-ORACLE-C++-Q/A Testing-Developer / Powerbuilder, Oracle, C++

=
Company    : Technisource
Website    : http://www.tsi.net
Job Title  : Developer / Powerbuilder, Oracle, C++
Location   : Indianapolis, IN
Job Type   : Contract
============================
Technisource is an innovative and rapidly growing national contract, consulting
and staffing organization Technisource has a long list of satisfied clients and
hundreds of high caliber consultants with rewarding careers in the technical
industry Technisource offers the best solution whether our clients' needs are
for one engineer, a team or a complete outsourcing unit Since 1987 Technisource
has specialized in the technical consulting industry and is the most qualified
resource to turn for your next project Over 600 opportunities are listed on our
website, WWWTSINET for engineers, programmers, designers, technicians and
technical writers

 Systems Analysis, PowerBuilder, ORACLE, C++ PLuses include: Visual Basic and
Testing skills DURATION 6 - 9 months

Travel Required          :None
Educational Requirements :None
=
Required Skills
* Analysis Skills
* PowerBuilder
* ORACLE
* C++
* Q/A Testing
=
Definite Pluses
* Visual Basic
=
=
Contact Information:
Reference : IND10330

Technisource
1901 NW 62nd St.,  #401

Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309

Phone: 800-940-1111 EXT 237
   -   -
Fax No: 888-290-2990

** Post jobs for 30 days for $40, unlimited postings $250/month
** Matching Resumes E-mailed daily
**  Your ads are virtually guaranteed to be seen by jobseekers on the NET' **

                    ** Automatic Posting to **
   ** Yahoo            ** Americas Job Bank    ** Career City

2. Asynchronous Operations

3. Help linking ESQL/C library to C++ module

4. xp_sendmail formatting message body

5. Visual C++ ADO- linking to wrapper classes gives link errror but not raw classes

6. Tommy he will fu_k up

8. Problem Installing Oracle8i on Linux

9. C++ vs Powerbuilder to sql server 7.0

10. C++ vs powerbuilder to sql server 7.0

11. compare PowerBuilder, Visual Basic and Visual C++.

12. Visual C++ vs Powerbuilder

13. I am in need of person who is familiar with Visaul basic, Powerbuilder, and C++