Open Server vs. DCE RPC

Post by Pete Jon » Sun, 01 Jan 1995 06:49:18

Hi everybody,

I am in the process of designing a server to perform some calculations based
on SQL Server data. Currently we are considering Sybase Open Server and DCE
RPC as server platform alternatives. I'd be very interested in hearing your
thoughts on one vs the other. For the sake of net.bandwidth please email
replies. I'll post a summary if it's the least bit interesting.

Thanks in advance !

Pete Jones

1. Open Client, Open Server and RPC

Hi,

To what extent do the Open CLient and Open Server libraries support
Remote Procedure Calls? I mean "real" RPCs (like Sun ONC RPC or DCE RPC)
and not something that looks like a degraded version of SQL.
Where can I find more information about this and preferably some
source code?

A related question. Suppose a multi-threaded DCE RPC-client application
is linked to the Open Client library. The client application uses threads to
connect to one or more Open Server-servers. Does this work, i.e. put
simply, will the data returned by the server end up in the right thread?

Thanks,
Peter

Peter Bouthoorn                 | Telephone: +31 50 8xxxxx
PTT Telecom BV                  | Telefax  : +31 50 8xxxxx

P.O. Box 188                    | DISCLAIMER: This statement is not an official
NL-9700 AD Groningen            | statement from, nor does it represent an
The Netherlands                 | official position of, PTT Telecom B.V.

2. Antw: Re: Patch for NetWare support

3. rpc and dce

4. 'Unable to Process' error from distributed .exe

5. DCE RPC to Oracle 7 database

6. problem duplicating & modifying records in FM4

7. Sybase RPC (Is it DCE supported?)

8. DCE-RPC, pthreads and ESQL-C

9. DCE RPC to Oracle 7 database

10. Getting a status code from an open server rpc