Free Technical Tools for ASE 12

Post by Thierry Antinolf » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 03:59:09

You may find at www.dbadevil.com some technicals tools which work for ASE 12
under NT :

Log Explorer  : Transaction Log explorer
Page Viewer : Data Page, Index Page, GAM OAM Page viewer
Page Linker  : Data and index Page Linkage

Sincerely,
Thierry ANTINOLFI
www.dbadevil.com

1. ASE 11.5 vs ASE 12 : exclusive locks at page / table

We are in the process of upgrading from ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.0

In ASE 11.5,
Our developers use the following to get a table level exclusive lock :

  begin tran
  update T1 set C1 = xxx where 1 = 3

This grants a table level exclusive lock.

In ASE 12.0,
The same stuff grants a level exclusive lock on a page and a Exclusive
Intent lock on the table.
So, the developers are planning to start using the lock table command.

I do not know the exact details regarding their programming ... why
they are doing this,  what isolation level they need etc. etc.

But I am surprised at the behaviour of ASE 12.

I created a test table T1 with one column C1.
There were no indexes.
I inserted one row in the table with C1 = 1.
The table had Allpages locking scheme.
When I gave the following :

  begin tran
  update T1 set C1 = 2 where C1 = 1 /* this results in 1 row updated
*/

I got a page level exclusive lock and a table level exclusive intent
lock.
The Performance and Tuning Manual says on page 26-8 (bottom of page) :

"If no index exists on any of the search arguments, Adaptive Server
must acquire a table-level lock."

Either the manual is incorrect or I am missing something.
Please help.

2. rigths needed to execute a Job

3. Migrating dbs from ASE 11.0.3.3 (desupported) to ASE 12.x

4. Need help with VB in Excel Spreadsheet

5. Sybase ASE 12.0 monitoring tool

6. Database Class Help Please

7. sybase ase 12 to sqlserver 2000

8. Object Model for DTS packages

9. ASE 12 / DTM / CICS ---> detached threads

10. Adding new language into ASE 12

11. Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

12. ASE 12.5.X on MS Windows 2003 Server

13. ASE 12.5.0.3 under RedHat 9