Sybase 10.0.1 library interface problems

Sybase 10.0.1 library interface problems

Post by Harry D » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 01:52:23

Our company has received Sybase 10.0.1.  I am implementing an interface to our
proprietary database, and have been experimenting with DB-Library, CT-libary,
Embedded SQL.

I have had several problems.

1. CT-libary function for blk_alloc fails, even the sybase sample.
2. Embedded SQL, unable to 'use' a database with a dynamic sql call, even after
   I have established a connection vi EXEC SQL CONNECT.
3. I do not want to hard code table names in the code, is this posible??

If anyone has any suggestions or info, please respond.

Also, what good are the 'debug libraries' without the source.

Also, any source out there?? Let me know where it is.

Sybase 10.0.1 library interface problems

Post by Otto Li » Sat, 26 Nov 1994 13:59:18

: I have had several problems.
:
: 1. CT-libary function for blk_alloc fails, even the sybase sample.

What is the error message you get? What platform is the client on? What
platform is the server running on? Any other details you can supply?

: 2. Embedded SQL, unable to 'use' a database with a dynamic sql call,
: even after I have established a connection vi EXEC SQL CONNECT.

This may be a server restriction/bug (since dynamic sql calls translate
into internal stored procedures). What error do you get?

: 3. I do not want to hard code table names in the code, is this posible??

How would they be defined? (i.e. user input?) Dynamic querys can be
created in ESQL without any schema information, so I am not sure what the
problem is (an example would help).

: Also, what good are the 'debug libraries' without the source.

The 'debug libraries' contain over 5,000 assertions which validate
internal state information and data structures. It also allows a
programmer of CT-Lib to enable diagnostic tracing via ct_debug(). The
most important trace feature an end user can enable is CS_DBG_ERROR,
which reports the module and line number for each error that the library
encounters.

If you find that a CT-Lib function is returning an error when you think
it should be ok, giving Sybase tech support a sample of the error output
when ct_debug(CS_DBG_ERROR) is enabled. This will allow them to quickly
determine exactly why a failure occurs. If an assertion is fired off, you
have most likely found a bug within Open Client which should be reported
to Sybase tech support.

Let me know if you have any questions on using the diagnostics available
within Open Client.

: Also, any source out there?? Let me know where it is.

Currently, I don't know of any. I hope to change this in the next few
months by releasing a large (and comprehensive) set of test code which I
used in developing CT-Lib. When it's ready, I'll post to this news group
the pertinent information.

Otto

--
Otto Lind                  Coactive Aesthetics

netcom!coactive!otto       voice:(415)626-5152    fax:(415)626-6320

1. VB4 32bit and DB-Library (Sybase 10) on NT (intel)

By calling LIBSYBDB.DLL I can login, send queries, and get results. I
can even bing integers, but not strings.

Has anyone done this before (I carn't be the first)?

BTW I know I can go and buy ODBC drivers to connect but i'm not going
to pay 40+ per PC to give this application to 100's of users.

2. String fields as keys

3. Problem porting GUI from sybase 10 to sybase 11

4. Easy way to copy a DTS package from one server to another?

5. DB-Library 10.0 versus 10.0.1

6. default value on not nullable column

7. HELP - SYBASE System 10 / OpenClient 10.0.2 P2 / FTP PCTCP stack

8. Problem copying ntext from xml

9. Sybase 10 on HP/UX 10 on HP 715

10. Sybase 10.0.1 vs 10.0.2

11. EBF's and Sybase 10.0.2.5 vs 10.0.2.7

12. Sybase SQL Server 10.0.2 access problem.

13. VB4(16) & Sybase System 10 OpenRecordset problem