Auto index maintenance help !!

Post by Matt Foske » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Greetings everyone,

So I dont end up "reinventing the wheel" I need a little help from you all on
this group.

I am implementing a scheduled index rebuild on a good number of production
indexes. Since this is a production system, and this system is changing
dynamically, AND I really dont like getting paged on the weekend I want to be
able to determine the total size for all the tables that are going to have
their unique indexes rebuilt. Then I want to determine how much space is
available in database, determine if there is the required 120% and then "let
it rip" and drop and recreate the indexes or not perform the rebuild. I am
hoping to right a shell script to manage this.

Have any of you done anything along this line ? What procedures do you use for
index maintenance ?

Any input / feedback / help would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks a lot,

Matt Foskett

Auto index maintenance help !!

Post by David L. Cheri » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

We have. In fact, we're developing a product, ProActive DBA
Defrag, to automate rebuilding indexes that are fragmented.
It'll probably be available sometime in late Q3.

Currently, we have a product called ProActive DBA Physical
Structure Viewer that will help you determine how often you
need to rebuild your clustered indexes because it'll provide
you with a breakdown of fragmentation down to the index
level.

White Sands Technology, Inc.            http://www.whitesands.com
818-340-3300 ext. 221           818-340-3301 fax

DBCCs running too slow? Need to do some I/O Load Balancing?
Got Table/Index Fragmentation? Want to speed up those queries?

ProActive DBA will determine the current fragmentation levels
of your tables/indexes, calculate the exact amount of space
(in bytes) that your tables/indexes occupy, and allow you to
graphically view the pages/extents that your tables/indexes occupy.

Check out ProActive DBA - ProActive and Maintenance Tuning for SQL Server

Quote:> Greetings everyone,

> So I dont end up "reinventing the wheel" I need a little help from you
all on
> this group.

> I am implementing a scheduled index rebuild on a good number of
production
> indexes. Since this is a production system, and this system is changing
> dynamically, AND I really dont like getting paged on the weekend I want
to be
> able to determine the total size for all the tables that are going to
have
> their unique indexes rebuilt. Then I want to determine how much space is
> available in database, determine if there is the required 120% and then
"let
> it rip" and drop and recreate the indexes or not perform the rebuild. I
am
> hoping to right a shell script to manage this.

> Have any of you done anything along this line ? What procedures do you
use for
> index maintenance ?

> Any input / feedback / help would be greatly appreciated !!

> Thanks a lot,

> Matt Foskett

1. Help with auto-incrementing index

I need to create a table where the ID field auto-increments (like MS Access)
on my MS_SQL server.  I'm going to be inserting new records and want to make
this auto-increment ID field my unique key.

I tried timestamp but couldn't figure out how to access the value of a
selected record so I could do further searches.

My end result would should look like this:

Table #1
ID0, data 1, data 2
ID1, data 1, data 2
ID2, data 1, data 2

Table #2
ID1, date 1, date2
ID2, date 1, date2
ID0, date 1, date2
ID1, date 1, date2
ID1, date 1, date2
ID2, date 1, date2
ID2, date 1, date2
ID0, date 1, date2
ID0, date 1, date2

-Glenn

2. MS Access deleted table

3. Manual indexes vs. auto indexes

4. Flushing an input buffer

5. Auto maintenance

6. Sum a store procedure results?

7. SQL Maintenance Jobs & Indexes

8. Integrated Security and SQL Server 6.5

9. Better Index Maintenance...

10. 170 error in db maintenance rebuild index

11. Index Maintenance for System Tables:

12. tabel/index maintenance

13. maintenance plan and cluster indexes