dbbackup & the -x Option

Post by Don Stallon » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:29:49

I'm using the -x option in the dbbackup command & according to the way I
interpret the ASA8 documentation I would assume the new transaction log
would be smaller than the original transaction log.

It's not and I'm wondering why not.

Here's what the documentation says:
==============
Delete and restart the transaction log (-x)     Back up the existing
transaction log, then delete the original log and __start a new transaction
log__. This option causes the backup to wait for a point when all
transactions from all connections are committed.
==============

Here's the command I use:
dbbackup.exe -c dsn=MyDSN;uid=MyID;pwd=MyPWD; -x "c:\BackupTest"

The dsn points to a database in c:\Prime named MyDB.

The specs are:
c:\Prime\MyDB.db        11,000 KB
c:\Prime\MyDB.log        162 KB

After the backup c:\Prime\MyDB.db & c:\Prime\MyDB.log sizes are unchanged
which puzzles me whereas the specs in c:\BackupTest are:
c:\BackupTest\MyDB.db        11,000 KB
c:\BackupTest\MyDB.log        8 KB

I could really use a "leg-up" on this one.

1. dbbackup and the -n Option Versus the -r -n Options

What's the difference between using the -n and the -r -n options?

When I use the following ASA 8 command at the command prompt

dbbackup.exe -c dsn=ABC;uid=MyID;pwd=MyPassword; -r BackupTest

the database backup (ABC.db; 11,108KB) and the
transaction log backup (named 030708aa.log; 192KB) are put in
C:\MyDocuments\ABC_db8.  Not too surprising since dsn ABC
says the database is in C:\MyDocuments\ABC_db8.  Actually I
thought it was supposed to it in C:\MyDocuments\ABC_db8\BackupTest,
but we'll come back to that in a moment.

The next time it's executed it puts the database backup
(ABC.db; 11,108KB) and the transaction log backup (named
030708ab.log; 192KB) in C:\MyDocuments\ABC_db8.

When I add the -n option thusly

dbbackup.exe -c dsn=ABC;uid=MyID;pwd=MyPassword; -n -r BackupTest

the same results happen. Is there supposed to be a different result or am
I misunderstanding the documentation?

TIA,
Confounded

2. CGI Webkit

3. dbbackup script online? (Velpuri's book)

4. What is the big deal with of XML?

5. DBBackup on NetWare 4.11

6. learning about databases..

7. DBBACKUP with SQLANYWHERE

8. SQL Server Client Tools and MSDE

9. dbvalid and dbbackup when running multiple databases for SQL Anywhere

10. DBBACKUP/etc.

11. Brand New Database & Storage Options

12. Full-Text Search Engine (Native & Options)

13. SIMPLE Recovery Model & OVERWRITE Media Option