ghost/phantom processes

Post by C. T » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have seen a few other people reference it, but don't know if anyone
has found a solution.  Can anyone explain how the ghost processes come
into existence or how to prevent remove them other than rebooting the
sybase server?
These processes do not show up in a sp_who but cause a page lock that
will block other processes.  I am using ASE 11.5.1 on an HPUX 10.20 box.
Any help is appreciated.
thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

ghost/phantom processes

Post by Daze » Fri, 17 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I believe that for the times that I've had zombie processes, they were
from cursors that bailed in the middle and the server got confused.

>I have seen a few other people reference it, but don't know if anyone
>has found a solution.  Can anyone explain how the ghost processes come
>into existence or how to prevent remove them other than rebooting the
>sybase server?
>These processes do not show up in a sp_who but cause a page lock that
>will block other processes.  I am using ASE 11.5.1 on an HPUX 10.20 box.
>Any help is appreciated.
>thanks.

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. SYBASE GHOST PROCESSES/HUNG PROCESSES

What is the preferred method for elliminating GHOST PROCESSES from SYBASE
492?????  We are having GHOST processes creep into the machine on a
fairly consistent basis and would like a resolution if anyone has one.  We are running
a stored proc that checks for hung processes and kills them at 5-10 second intervals.

This is not the preferred method however because the burden is on our DBAs to deal
with it and I beleive SYBASE should have somthing in their software engine that handles
ghosts.

2. Perl + DSO?

3. suspected Ghosted Record Cleanup Process

4. can't connect existing database to newly installed SQL server

5. Ghost processes?

6. On-Line headache

7. Ghosted Record Cleanup Process Problems

8. Index usage question & too many indexes = corrupt data?

9. Ghost Process

10. LONG POST - Ghost process holding blocking locks

11. Ghost Process

12. ASE and ghost processes

13. Ghost processes lockup question