Stored Proc Library - README v2.1

Post by Edward Barl » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Attached are the 9 uuencoded files that make up the latest version of
the extended stored procedure library for sybase.  Have done more work
on making the system 10 version work cleanly and have added a few
new stored procedures (one great one is sp__checkkey, which will generate
sql that checks RI integrity of your database based on foreign key
definitions).  Thanx to everybody who sent suggestions and modifications.

At this stage, dba's can use these procs to get a good idea of performance
modifcations they need - the badindex and noindex procs identify index
schemas that need work, the collist proc identifies misdefined columns,
and the checkkey proc identifies potential key problems.

Enjoy Them
Ed
ebar...@pipeline.com
---------------------------------------

EXTENDED SYBASE STORED PROCEDURES V2.1
Copyright (c) 1995 By Edward Barlow
======================================

Enclosed are an extended set of Sybase stored procedures. These procedures
provide additional functionality and provide new ways to look at the data
provided by Sybase in their System Tables. They also provide many new formats
that allows users, developers, and administrators to see the data they want
in the format they want.

This version has been tested under 4.8, 4.9, and System 10. The procedures
should all be bug free.

All procedure names start with "sp__". This naming convention ensures that
the procedures, when run, will be available from any database and that,
when they are run, the database context will be the current database.
Thus, if you are in the statsdb database, you can get the space used in
statsdb by running sp__dbspace.

I am interested in any thoughts about how to expand these procedures.
Please send me any comments and suggestions (currently ebar...@pipeline.com).

Full documentation is included in the file man.doc.  This is a microsoft word
for windows 6.0 document.  There is also a file man.txt which is the
documentation in text format (which might be hard to read due to line breaks).

INSTALLATION AND EXTRACTION OF FILES
====================================
The library is released as a set of uuencoded files.  'cat' the files
together and pipe them through uudecode to reveal a tar file.  untar that
file to create the subdirectory procs200 and follow instructions in the
readme file (this file).  If the untar does not work, make sure that all the
parts have been stripped of leading AND trailing lines (sometimes trailing
blank lines can cause uudecode to fail).  See the sample script at the end
of this section.

These procedures reside in the master database (in Sybase 4.9.2) and
in the sybsystemprocs database of system 10.  The script for each procedure
will issue a "dump tran master with truncate_only" prior to the addition of
the procedure so that master log space (which is generally small) will not
be filled.  NOTE: FOR SYSTEM 10 Edit the files "database" (change to
"use sybsystemprocs") and "dumpdb" (change to "dump tran sybsystemprocs with
truncate_only").

To install these procedures, run the command configure. This command can be run
with no parameters (whereapon it will ask for a server and sa password)
"configure" or using the syntax "configure <SERVER> <SA_PASSWORD>". As the
master database will be modified by these procedures, it is suggested that
you dump that database before you load the procedures.

        # extract the parts into files and edit out mail headers
        # the next command creates the tar file
        cat * | uudecode
        # the next command extracts into a directory called procs
        tar xvf proc200.tar
        cd procs
        # optionally edit the files database and dumpdb if system 10
        # the next command installs on servers
        configure

USAGE, RESALE AND COPYRIGHT
===========================
I am releasing this library as freeware.  I ask that you try the software and
register when you install (the configure utility prompts you to send me an
email).  Redistribute the package at will (see below).  Tell your friends.
Give me access to procedures that you have written for future versions.  Tell
me about bugs.  Be nice - I am making no money off this.

You are allowed to use this software so long as all copyright
notices and the README file are not altered and so long as no money is made
by the sale of this software (i.e. you cant include it in a commercial
package without permission). If you would like to "make money" or include
the code in a commercial package, I ask that you decide on a "fair" price
and create some form of "fair" agreeement. Make two copies, sign them both,
and send them to the author (Edward Barlow). If the agreement seems fair,
I will sign both and send one copy back to you, and we will have a deal.
I have put significant effort into this code and, while my primary purpose
is to create software for people to use, I expect a fair shake from anybody
who can profit from my endeavors.

UNINSTALL
=========
SQL statements to uninstall this package are contained in the file cleanup.SQL.
If running on System 10 the dumpdb and database files should be modified as
mentioned above.

WARANTY
=======
This software is provided as-is. No warranties or guarantees
are made. To the best of my knowledge, any bugs or outstanding issues
are documented in the file "BUGS" that comes with the source code.
Please notify me of any things that can be done to make this a better package.

ONE CHEAP PLUG
==============
I do unix & sybase consulting work in the New York Area.  Get in touch if
you think I might be of assistance.  I have developed some nice commercial
software that can be used for Sybase security and performance audits and
am able to personally perform these for a reasonable price.  I also have
a really nice package that can automate system administration (real time
system monitoring, multi server id administration, historical reports,
application performance audits, configuration reporting, and nightly sybase
scheduling). My phone is (212) 366-1137.  My email is ebar...@pipeline.com.

FINAL NOTE
==========
All procedures in this package are copyright (c) 1994-5 by Edward Barlow.
Special thanks to Jim Bain, who authored many of them and who greatly
assisted in this project.  Micle Klint and Ron Pool provided testing and
feedback for System 10. Desiree Johnson helped me greatly in
testing and by putting the package on the Sybase Things web page at
http:://sybase.pnl.gov:2080/Sybase/barlow.

Edward Barlow
ebar...@pipeline.com
45 5th Ave #12A
New York, NY 10003

MODIFIED SYBASE PROCEDURES
sp__help                                Better sp_help
sp__helpdb                      Database Information
sp__helpdevice          Break down database devices into a nice report
sp__helpgroup           List groups in database by access level
sp__helpindex           Shows indexes by table
sp__helpsegment Segment Information
sp__helpuser            Lists users in current database by group (include aliases)
sp__lock                                Lock information
sp__who                         sp_who that fits on a page

AUDIT PROCEDURES
sp__auditsecurity       Security Audit On Server
sp__auditdb                     Audit Current Database For Potential Problems

SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR PROCEDURES
sp__block                       Blocking processes.
sp__dbspace                     Summary of current database space information.
sp__dumpdevice          Listing of Dump devices
sp__helpdbdev           Show how Databases use Devices
sp__helplogin           Show logins and remote logins to server
sp__helpmirror          Shows mirror information, discover broken mirrors
sp__segment                     Segment Information
sp__server                      Server summary report (very useful)
sp__vdevno                      Who's who in the device world

DBA PROCEDURES
sp__badindex       give information about bad indexes (nulls, bad statistics...)
sp__collist                     list all columns in database
sp__indexspace          Space used by indexes in database
sp__noindex                     list of tables without indexes.
sp__helpcolumns show columns for given table
sp__helpdefault list defaults (part of objectlist)
sp__helpobject          list objects
sp__helpproc            list procs (part of objectlist)
sp__helprule            list rules (part of objectlist)
sp__helptable           list tables (part of objectlist)
sp__helptrigger         list triggers (part of objectlist)
sp__helpview            list views  (part of objectlist)
sp__trigger                     Useful synopsis report of current database trigger schema

REVERSE ENGINEERING
sp__revalias            get alias script for current db
sp__revdb                       get db creation script for server
sp__revdevice           get device creation script
sp__revgroup            get group script for current db
sp__revindex            get indexes script for current db
sp__revlogin            get logins script for server
sp__revmirror           get mirroring script for server
sp__revuser                     get user script for current db

OTHER PROCEDURES
sp__bcp                         Create unix script to bcp in/out database
sp__date                                Who can remember all the date styles?
sp__quickstats          Quick dump of server summary information