bcp canned app

Post by Mike » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Why is it inexpensive apps like Excel/Access/Foxpro let you import text
data directly, but the expensive RDBMSs like SQL Server and Oracle make
you grunt thru some bcp routine????

Anyway, I would like to be able to load data from flat files and I'm
looking for a canned bcp file or special procedure I can run on SQL
Server 6.5.

Thanx

bcp canned app

Post by Richard Leyto » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>Why is it inexpensive apps like Excel/Access/Foxpro let you import text
>data directly, but the expensive RDBMSs like SQL Server and Oracle make
>you grunt thru some bcp routine????

Well, without wanting to start any sort of religious flame-war, I happen
think that BCP routines are a damn sight more flexible than the (to me)
restritive gui based formats used in 'inexpensive' databases. It just takes
a (little) bit of getting used to. 'standard' (tab/newline) text files are
easily imported, with:

bcp database.[user].table in filename -Uuser -Sserver -c

And if you want to get specific, it's easy to specify almost ANY delimiter
you like. Many of my developers have standard SQL select scripts with pipes
(|) in the select statement piping straight into a bcp to another server
(This was before the advent of BCP's from views)

To answer your complaint though - Sybase seem to have made a corporate
decision not to provide 'nice' tools for their system, rather to concentrate
their efforts on providing a multi-user, scalable, powerful, efficient,
highly configurable data servers than can handle large volumes of data (ie.
Gigabyte databases are considered 'small' - The db's you refer to would fall
over/grind somewhat with a few hundred megabytes). Sybase's open client
library allows anybody who wants to, to provide a better tool.

If you really don't like bcp, and need to use your mouse some more, then
there are some other tools out there (DB Artisan is one I've heard good
things about). Somebody else can probably sing the relative
advantages/disadvantages, and this groups FAQ may well have URL references.

Quote:>Anyway, I would like to be able to load data from flat files and I'm
>looking for a canned bcp file or special procedure I can run on SQL
>Server 6.5.

See above. But do bear in mind that's a Sybase command. I can't speak for
Microsoft's SQL server, as it's diverged from Sybase somewhat.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Richard
(My opinions are just that - my opinions).

bcp canned app

Post by Ramon Venni » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Why is it inexpensive apps like Excel/Access/Foxpro let you import text
> data directly, but the expensive RDBMSs like SQL Server and Oracle make
> you grunt thru some bcp routine????

> Anyway, I would like to be able to load data from flat files and I'm
> looking for a canned bcp file or special procedure I can run on SQL
> Server 6.5.

This sounds more like MS SQL Server ( ! Sybase), probably on NT ?
Ok, what you want is easy to make yourself.
How ?
Use dblib and use the bcp interface and build your own Extended SP in
your own bcp.dll.
Shouldn't take much time.

(But maybe you should check this on a MSSQLSERVER newsgroup)

Quote:

--
Groetjes

Ramon

                    __\/__
                .  / ^  _ \  .
                |\| (o)(o) |/|
#------------.OOOo----oo----oOOO.------------#
#              Ramon L. Vennik               #
#          tel: +31 (0) 655374855            #

#_______________________Oooo.________________#
                 .oooO  (   )
                 (   )   ) /
                  \ (   (_/
                   \_)

1. MDX : Canned Report or OLAP

Here is the requirement spec for a report about various
values(items below) for different projects.

item#1 item#2 item#5For2001 item#5For2002 item#6For2001 ...

Here item#1 and 2 are measured in general for the entire
lifecyle of the project, item#5 & item6 is being reported
yearwise. Can this kinda of data be stored in a single
cube? If Yes then what will be the MDX query to fetch the
data in above format.

Thanks,

Ashu

2. *****NY/NJ-DATA MODELERS/LOGICAL/PHYSICAL-WANTED*******

3. Anyone know of some canned (cheap or free) DB performance testing software

4. Insert Primary Key Using Trigger ?

5. canned code to get db on web quickly via perl or

6. SQl-tutorial

8. if you will promise Allahdad's swamp against cans, it will angrily depart the unit

9. Switching from inhouse to canned package.

10. Canned PARADOX scripts?

11. BCP export (6.5) - BCP import (7.0) Problem

12. BCP - Unexpexted EOF encountered in BCP data-file