sort order errors: EBCDIC data from DB2

Post by Chris Cro » Fri, 13 Jan 1995 07:51:39

I'm trying to build a clustered index on a table that has been loaded
using bcp with a file extracted from a DB2 table on MVS. I'm using the
"with sorted data" option and discovered that my data wasn't sorted quite
good enuf. After sifting through my 5 million rows for the offending 144,
I determined that the problem was that in EBCDIC A < 1, while in ASCII A > 1.

The System/370 guru next door says there's a way to "modify the collating
sequence" (?!#%...transmission possibly garbled here) when generating the file
in a COBOL module....aaarrgghhhhhhhhh

What I'd like to know is if anyone out there has dealt with this problem and
knows the trick that will keep this poor Unix programmer off the mainframe.
Your charity will be greatly appreciated. Sybase doc promises great rewards
from "with sorted data" if it really is.

Thanks in advance,
--
chris cross

1. Need EBCDIC sort order in Sybase

Hi, =

My software feeds Sybase tables from files generated by IBM mainframes;
i.e. the files are in EBCDIC and sorted according to EBCDIC sort order.
I need to be able to retreive data in the same order; so my question is:
 =

Is there a way in Sybase to get the queries I send to the server to
return to me the data in EBCDIC order? =

Regards, =

Jean
 =

 Jean Poir=E9, eng.
 Croesus, Portfolio Management System =

 Unigiciel Inc.             Tel.: 514-662-6101
 1 Place Laval, Bureau 410  Fax.: 514-662-3629
 Laval (QUEBEC)
 CANADA

2. Query not working in ASP

3. Converting a database from dictionary case insensitive sort order to binary sort order

4. Voorn

5. Help I need this hot fix.

6. data in sorted order in table without order by clause

7. multiple keys (newbie)

8. Converting a database from dictionary case insensitive sort order to binary sort order

9. Oracle sort order on HP-UX versur Windows sort order

10. EBCDIC Sorting