Migrate Sybase SQL server from Netware NLM 4.2.2 to Sybase 10 on Sun

Migrate Sybase SQL server from Netware NLM 4.2.2 to Sybase 10 on Sun

Post by Howard Yeu » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I am working on a project to move the SQL server from the Netware
platform to the Sun Solaris platform.   I am also try to upgrade the
SQL server to version 10.
Anyway, I want to do a fast benchmarking on the Sun platform.  Are
there any ways that I can load the database generated on the Netware
into Sun?  I don't think I can use the dump database and load database
commands since they don't work across the platforms.  Some people
suggest to use BCP.  Would it work?
Have anyone done the same project before?  I need to hear your
comment.

Thanks in advance.

Howard Yeung
UNIX System Engineer
(301)-214-0294

Migrate Sybase SQL server from Netware NLM 4.2.2 to Sybase 10 on Sun

Post by Feder » Fri, 02 Jun 1995 04:00:00

BCP will work.  I often BCP from one db (production) into another db
(test). This is different servers but the same machine.

Suggest you use fast-mode bcp which should cut total run time by at least
1/2.  You also will not need to worry about log size or log dumps.

To allow fast-mode BCP,  do NOT create indicies or triggers on the tables.
Don't forget to set the data base option to allow non-logged operations
using sp_dboption. Then run a backup, reset the db option and finally
create the indicies and triggers.

Carl Federl
Chicago, IL

Migrate Sybase SQL server from Netware NLM 4.2.2 to Sybase 10 on Sun

Post by krik.. » Tue, 06 Jun 1995 04:00:00

We have had to convert from Microsoft SQL Server 4.2 on OS/2 to Sybase ver 10.0 on NT.
Found the best way for us was to unload/load data using bcp character format.

We used  Platinum's Desktop DBA tool running on an NT platform
to automate the unloading of the schema as well as the data.
The database was not large, (700MB and schema 3,000 objects)
Do not try running Desktop DBa from a DOS/Windows client.

Ron