Accessing Sybase ODBC through NT service

Accessing Sybase ODBC through NT service

Post by Oded Gond » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

We have developed an application which connect to a Sybase SQL
Anywhere ODBC driver. The application runs perfectly.

Recently I have changed this application to run as a NT service.
The application runs very well, only when I try to SQLConnect
I get an error from the _Microsoft_ ODBC manager saying: "data source
name not found."

The very same system configurtaion runs well, when I run it as a stand
alone application. Any ideas?

Please CC your reply by e-mail.
--
Oded Gonda,
R&D Division

*************************************
Web Site: http://www.compugraphic.com

Tel. +972-3-5732140
Fax. +972-3-5732145
*************************************

Accessing Sybase ODBC through NT service

Post by Kieran Owen » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi

We had similar problems and the following worked for us.

Services under NT will use a system ODBC datasource and not the one used by
you application when not running under the auspices of the Service Control
Manager. Therefore, using the Control Panel to create a system datasource
with the name expected by your application should clean it up.

Hope this is of help

Kieran Owens

Quote:> Hello,

> We have developed an application which connect to a Sybase SQL
> Anywhere ODBC driver. The application runs perfectly.

<<<Deleted>>>
> The very same system configurtaion runs well, when I run it as a stand
> alone application. Any ideas?

> Oded Gonda,
> R&D Division
> Compugraphic Solutions LTD.

> *************************************
> Web Site: http://www.compugraphic.com

> Tel. +972-3-5732140
> Fax. +972-3-5732145
> *************************************

Accessing Sybase ODBC through NT service

Post by Karl Costenbade » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

If you haven't already, try setting the DSN up as a System DSN, which is
available no matter who is logged on without having to configure the DSN
for each user. On the main screen of the ODBC32 Control Panel applet,
the button in the lower right hand corner will take you to the list of
System DSNs.

--
Karl Costenbader, President
Competent Consulting

Home Page: http://www.competent.com

Post by Oded Gond » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> If you haven't already, try setting the DSN up as a System DSN, which is
> available no matter who is logged on without having to configure the DSN
> for each user. On the main screen of the ODBC32 Control Panel applet,
> the button in the lower right hand corner will take you to the list of
> System DSNs.

Well, I tried your suggestion. What I get now is:
"[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Driver's SQLConnect failed."

Any ideas?

Oded Gonda,
R&D Division
Compugraphic Solutions LTD.

*************************************
Web Site: http://www.compugraphic.com

Tel. +972-3-5732140
Fax. +972-3-5732145
*************************************

Accessing Sybase ODBC through NT service

Post by Karl Costenbade » Wed, 18 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I guess the next thing to look at is the exact error from SQLConnect to
determine why it failed. I would have to guess it has something to do
with the user that the service is running under. Have you specified a
specific account for the service to run under? To do this, run the
Services applet in the Control Panel, select your service, and choose
the Startup button. If the "System Account" option is currently
selected, try selecting a specific account using "This Account". The
problem with the System Account (LocalSystem user) is that it runs as a
null session and has no security credentials. This means that the
service does not have access to a number of things, including network
resources.

I hope this helps...

Good luck.

--
Karl Costenbader, President
Competent Consulting
Sacramento, CA

Home Page: http://www.competent.com

Accessing Sybase ODBC through NT service

Post by Kieran Owen » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi Odel

Try running the service under an account other than the local system
account (try one that works while running the application on the desktop).
All this can be done using Control Panel|Services|<Select your
service>|Startup. It's a bit of a guess but hey you never know.

Hope this helps
--
Kieran Owens

Darby Group Companies Inc.

> > If you haven't already, try setting the DSN up as a System DSN, which
is
> > available no matter who is logged on without having to configure the
DSN
> > for each user. On the main screen of the ODBC32 Control Panel applet,
> > the button in the lower right hand corner will take you to the list of
> > System DSNs.

> Well, I tried your suggestion. What I get now is:
> "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Driver's SQLConnect failed."

> Any ideas?

> Oded Gonda,
> R&D Division
> Compugraphic Solutions LTD.

> *************************************
> Web Site: http://www.compugraphic.com

> Tel. +972-3-5732140
> Fax. +972-3-5732145
> *************************************

1. Accessing Sybase ODBC through NT service

Hello,

We have developed an application which connect to a Sybase SQL
Anywhere ODBC driver. The application runs perfectly.

Recently I have changed this application to run as a NT service.
The application runs very well, only when I try to SQLConnect
I get an error from the _Microsoft_ ODBC manager saying: "data source
name not found."

The very same system configurtaion runs well, when I run it as a stand
alone application. Any ideas?

Please CC your reply by e-mail.
--
Oded Gonda,
R&D Division
Compugraphic Solutions LTD.

*************************************
Web Site: http://www.compugraphic.com

Tel. +972-3-5732140
Fax. +972-3-5732145
*************************************

2. Having problems with Open Table from Enterpise Manager

3. Sybase/Merant ODBC/NT Service

4. How do you create a phonetic search with popups?

5. - Connecting to Sybase via ODBC in Access (NT 4.0)

6. CONVERT(datetime)

7. number of extents

8. Sybase 10 AIX access from Sybase 11 on NT

9. NT Domains and accessing SQL Server via ODBC from another NT machine

10. Problem starting Sybase service on NT. HELP

11. Sybase Security Services and Windows NT

12. Running Sybase app as NT Service