Adding new language into ASE 12

Post by Philo » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:32:44

How to add a new language into ASE 12 (for example 'french') (OS: Win2K)
I tried to 'insert' directly into syslanguages but this was rejected whereas
I was SSO.
I tried with configuration utility, but it found no language installed (but
english).
Can anybody help me ?

Post by Michael Pepple » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 04:26:15

> How to add a new language into ASE 12 (for example 'french') (OS: Win2K)
> I tried to 'insert' directly into syslanguages but this was rejected
> whereas I was SSO.
> I tried with configuration utility, but it found no language installed
> (but english).
> Can anybody help me ?

You normally use srvloc for this (at least on Unix). I guess there is a
similar utility for Windows.

Michael

1. ASE 11.5 vs ASE 12 : exclusive locks at page / table

We are in the process of upgrading from ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.0

In ASE 11.5,
Our developers use the following to get a table level exclusive lock :

  begin tran
  update T1 set C1 = xxx where 1 = 3

This grants a table level exclusive lock.

In ASE 12.0,
The same stuff grants a level exclusive lock on a page and a Exclusive
Intent lock on the table.
So, the developers are planning to start using the lock table command.

I do not know the exact details regarding their programming ... why
they are doing this,  what isolation level they need etc. etc.

But I am surprised at the behaviour of ASE 12.

I created a test table T1 with one column C1.
There were no indexes.
I inserted one row in the table with C1 = 1.
The table had Allpages locking scheme.
When I gave the following :

  begin tran
  update T1 set C1 = 2 where C1 = 1 /* this results in 1 row updated
*/

I got a page level exclusive lock and a table level exclusive intent
lock.
The Performance and Tuning Manual says on page 26-8 (bottom of page) :

"If no index exists on any of the search arguments, Adaptive Server
must acquire a table-level lock."

Either the manual is incorrect or I am missing something.
Please help.

2. Batchmove & Transactions

3. Migrating dbs from ASE 11.0.3.3 (desupported) to ASE 12.x

4. Inline Funcations

5. sybase ase 12 to sqlserver 2000

6. listener timeout problem cannot figure out

7. ASE 12 / DTM / CICS ---> detached threads

8. Stored Procedure Error: Could not find stored procedure ' '.

9. Which EBF for ASE 12.5.0.3?

10. ASE 12.5.X on MS Windows 2003 Server

11. ASE 12.5.0.3 under RedHat 9

12. Sybase ASE 12.x on HP-UX 11i Itanium Processor

13. installing ASE 12 on WIN2K - syconfig.exe GPF