OpenClient and/or web.sql on SGI IRIX to Microsoft SQL Server 6.0

OpenClient and/or web.sql on SGI IRIX to Microsoft SQL Server 6.0

Post by Eric German » Sat, 06 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Title pretty much says it all.  Will the OpenClient package or web.sql run
against a Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 given that the two have/had some * in
common?

Post by Otto Li » Sun, 07 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: Title pretty much says it all.  Will the OpenClient package or web.sql run
: against a Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 given that the two have/had some * in
: common?

The Sybase OpenClient library will negotiate a TDS protocol version of
4.2 when logging into Microsoft 6.0 SQL Server (4.2 was that last
"common" Sybase/MicroSoft protocol).  The big down side in this is the
new DECIMAL/NUMERIC datatypes will be converted to float when sending
data back and forth, possibly losing precision.  In addition, any System
10 features (e.g. client side cursors) in OpenClient will not be usable
against the server.  Otherwise, I haven't seen any problems.

I don't know enough about the web.sql product to comment on it.

Otto

--
Otto Lind                  Otto Lind Consulting Services

skypoint!olcs!otto         voice:(612)457-1080    fax:(612)457-0761

Post by mpeppl » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: Title pretty much says it all.  Will the OpenClient package or web.sql run
: against a Microsoft SQL Server 6.0 given that the two have/had some * in
: common?

To add just a little bit to what Otto said: web.sql uses CTlib to access
the SQL server. I don't think that aceessing a SLQ server 6.0 instead of a
Sybase server will be a problem (The underlying software is certainly able
to do it...)

1. SGI Irix to SQL Server 2K

Can someone give me some suggestions on how to have a program on a Silicon
Graphics system write database records to a Win2K/SQL Server2K system.  I
have experience using ODBC to transfer data from a WinNT/Win2K system, and
theoretically ODBC should work for this purpose.  I just haven't found much
information about what companies have ODBC drivers for this connection.

TIA,

GWE

2. MS-SQL response and total users ( I need info defense)

3. Sapphire/Web, Netscape, SQL Server, IRIX - JDBC Driver?

4. USA-NJ-ORACLE DATABASE DEVELOPER WITH JAVA STORED PROCEDURES

5. (no subject)

6. Microsoft SQL Server 7 and Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC

7. Date format problem

8. Microsoft Sql Server Training : Hands-On, Self-Paced Training for Microsoft Sql Server Version 6.5

9. Microsoft SQL Server 7 with Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC

10. Microsoft Sql Server Training : Hands-On, Self-Paced Training for Microsoft Sql Server Version 6.5