Monitoring NT-Sybase from Linux without Linux-license?

Monitoring NT-Sybase from Linux without Linux-license?

Post by Holger Marz » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:00:00

We run a shop system based on Sybase. The shop system came with Sybase
bundeled, so I don't have separate Sybase CD-roms or a separate license.
Sybase is installed on a NT machine.

How can I monitor the Sybase DB from a Linux machine (I use Big
Brother). Every Shell-Script I saw needed the isql binary, the
Perl-DBI-module needs some Sybase libraries. I have nothing of these.

Can I download this software for free or is there another way monitoring
Sybase? I only need to know if a given databse is up and is not full.

Post by Michael Pepple » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> We run a shop system based on Sybase. The shop system came with Sybase
> bundeled, so I don't have separate Sybase CD-roms or a separate license.
> Sybase is installed on a NT machine.

> How can I monitor the Sybase DB from a Linux machine (I use Big
> Brother). Every Shell-Script I saw needed the isql binary, the
> Perl-DBI-module needs some Sybase libraries. I have nothing of these.

> Can I download this software for free or is there another way monitoring
> Sybase? I only need to know if a given databse is up and is not full.

You can get Sybase libraries and isql for free on linux. Just go to
http://linux.sybase.com and download the 11.0.3.3 version.

Michael

Monitoring NT-Sybase from Linux without Linux-license?

Post by Holger Marz » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:49:38 -0800, Michael Peppler

>> We run a shop system based on Sybase. The shop system came with Sybase
>> bundeled, so I don't have separate Sybase CD-roms or a separate license.
>> Sybase is installed on a NT machine.

>> How can I monitor the Sybase DB from a Linux machine (I use Big
>> Brother). Every Shell-Script I saw needed the isql binary, the
>> Perl-DBI-module needs some Sybase libraries. I have nothing of these.

>> Can I download this software for free or is there another way monitoring
>> Sybase? I only need to know if a given databse is up and is not full.

>You can get Sybase libraries and isql for free on linux. Just go to
>http://linux.sybase.com and download the 11.0.3.3 version.

Thanks, I'll download it.

Too bad that US companies think that Linux=RedHat and mostly use their
rpm-Format. Didn't they hear about tar? An application should leave it
to the admin in which directory he wants to install it. There's no need
to use special package formats.

1. Sybase microbenchmark on Linux and NT shows Linux 2x faster

All:

I hope that this isn't taken as a troll, or flame bait.  We all know
that microbenchmarks have very little validity.  I recently ran some
microbenchmarks, and got a very interesting result, that I'd thought
I would share.

The Benchmark:

Retrieve 1000 fairly wide rows from the Sybase, and store them in
memory on a PC client.  The database data cache is "warmed up", so
there is no server I/O, and the client-side run times are relatively
repeatable (within 3 percent).  I can't release the benchmark into the
public domain, but it would be trivial to duplicate it.

The program is written with ctlib, and runs basically unmodified on
Windows NT and Linux.  The only modification is the syntax for the
embedded assembler on both, which is used to get the value of the
Pentium time stamp counter.

I have a dual-boot machine, which runs NT and Linux.  This is a
Pentium 166, with 32 Mb RAM, and an Intel EtherExpress card.  Neither
Linux (kernel version 2.0.0/gcc 2.7.2), nor NT (version 4.0 no service
packs, VC++ 4.0) are the latest and greatest, but I believe that they
are contemporaries.  I compiled the program with the most optimization I
could easily find, but no heroic effort was made to fiddle with
compiler switches.  That is, I just used gcc -O2, and "fastest code"
in VC++.  In truth, the difference between no optimization and full
optimization made very little difference.  I believe that most of the
time is spent in the ctlib code itself, which I wasn't compiling.

Number of Machine Cycles      Linux           NT
(to 2 digits)
(in millions)                 70              130
(lower is better)
(real time)

Wow!

I was stunned at this result -- I didn't expect there to be much
difference.  I have no idea why the Linux OS is so much faster - any
guesses?  The code does pull a fair amount of data through the TCP
stack - I know that Linux's interrupt handling and syscalls are said
to be very fast.  I would be surprised if gcc was _that_ much faster
than MSVC++.

Comments?
--
Greg Thain                                (520) 733-6396 voice
Sunquest Information System               (520) 733-6602 FAX

2. Getting values from ResultSet is slow (vs. Perl/DBI)

3. Double license fee, less in Linux, still not release on NT (9i)

4. Shortcut with parameters

5. Sybase ASE for Linux - software license

6. About multiple access to a table

7. Sybase on Linux - Relational Databases for Linux - with Article and vendor links - Updated 27-Sep-98

8. DTS Scheduling problems from SQL7.0 with an Instance of SQL 200

9. Connect Sybase on NT from Linux

10. ERROR: Linux connection to Sybase Server in NT

11. Sybase on Linux or NT?

12. Sybase on Linux vs NT

13. Connecting to sybase/linux from NT