Role and Group

Post by Rajes » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:20:00

Sybase has Role at the server level and Group at the database level. What is
the criteria to use a Role rather than a Group and Viceversa?

-Rp?

Role and Group

Post by Karl Ritte » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:45:45

The big difference is that a user can

only be part of 1 group other than 'public'.
while
it can be part of many roles

If you have 2 groups    'readonly'  and   'updateonl'y.  You can give a user
read or update perrmission but not both. Had they been roles,  you could
have given a user both read and update permissions.

Karl

Quote:> Sybase has Role at the server level and Group at the database level. What
is
> the criteria to use a Role rather than a Group and Viceversa?

> -Rp?

1. DB roles, NT groups and PERMISSIONS

I've been using the PERMISSIONS function in SQL Server 7 to check to
see if the current user is allowed to perform a certain function in
the database.

This works correctly for permissions assigned to the public role, and
it works if the NT user is assigned to any other role (which has
permission to perform the required function) directly.  However, it
doesn't work if the NT user is a member of a group which is assigned
to a role other than public.

eg.
   DB role 'viewers' has access to SP 'get_stuff'
     DOMAIN\Joe member of 'viewers'
         -> PERMISSIONS() = 32
     DOMAIN\Betty member of 'DOMAIN\All Users' member of 'viewers'
         -> PERMISSIONS() = 0      However, she CAN access it...

So, this has been pretty frustrating lately...  If anyone has any
ideas of what I'm doing wrong, or a different way of doing it, I would
be interested. :)

Thanks in advance,
-Dave

2. MSQL version of Oracles CONNECT BY (Treewalking)

3. Help with creating database roles and NT Groups

4. Remote insert actioned before local update ???

5. application roles and NT groups

6. Disabling Transaction Log

7. Adding groups to OLAP database role with dso

8. US-Oracle DBA/ Financials/ Manufacturing-Technical or Functional

9. using roles and winnt groups

10. Help - removing NT Admin Group from sa role

11. User Role Group Question

12. Unable to add groups of users to roles

13. SQL Role and NT User Group