System 10 Experiences

Post by Thomas Peter Buzait » Tue, 23 Nov 1993 10:09:54

I believe that System 10 has been out for several months on some platforms.
I know that several people have asked about System 10 but I do not recall
any answers beyond what the new features are.

Does anybody have any experiences (good or bad) that they would like to
share about System 10?

In particular I am interested in knowing about:

  - Do the new features (killing sleeping processes, referential integrity,
    etc.) live up to the pre-release promises?
  - Was it difficult to migrate (programs, data, stored procedures, etc.)
    from Sybase 4.x?
  - Did you have any problems with your third party vendor tools working
    with System 10?
  - Have you encountered any problems with the System 10 software?
    If yes, were they easily resolved?
  - Are there any tips or traps to be aware of that are not clearly
    documented in the System 10 manuals?
  - Is anybody already using System 10 in a Production environment?
    If yes, what platform are you on?

At NML we currently have Sybase 4.9.2 on a HP9000 running HP-UX 9.0 and we
just received, but have not unloaded, the tape for System 10. So, my
interest is based on the road that lies ahead for us.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Tom

Tom Buzaitis                         |  #include <std_disclaim.h>

Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance   |  Phone:    (414) 299-3131
720 E. Wisconsin Ave. - N06SE        |  Fax:      (414) 299-1686
Milwaukee, WI  53202  USA            |

1. Image data in System 10: experiences?

We're thinking about adding image data to our System 10 database.
I'd appreciate word about experiences positive and negative with
Sybase's handling of image data and any potholes that should be
avoided. I'll post a summary of any e-mail responses.

Our standard front-end development tool is PowerBuilder.

Alan Spiewak

2. Simple Question

3. Had any experience with System 10?

4. 20186-IL-Central Illinois-Delphi-ORACLE-OOA-VISBASIC-Client Server Programmers

5. HELP - SYBASE System 10 / OpenClient 10.0.2 P2 / FTP PCTCP stack

6. Progress & NFS

7. Upgrading System 10.0.1 to 10.0.2

8. Looking for a simple dbms for Sun 3 line.

9. System 10 vs System 11

10. System 10 vs System 11 in performance

11. System 10 vs System 11

12. System 10 Drivers to access System 11 server