WebSQL vs ???

Post by Exposur » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

HI!

        I am trying to come up with the a way of accessing a Sybase
DB throgh the web.  I have a moderate sized DB and am familiar with
webSql.  In essence, what I am after is exploring/docmenting/comparing
the conventional as well as * ways of achieving the above mentioned
task. Any and every input is greatly appreciated.

        Ultimately, I also wish to avail some level of functionality
(basic at first) to preform the old Add/Delete/Update mechanism to the
web GUI I am putting together.

        Particular focus:       Perl, JAVA, JDBC <you get my point:->

        Thanks!

--Ben

WebSQL vs ???

Post by Michael Shael O'Neill Selde » Fri, 30 May 1997 04:00:00

> HI!

>         I am trying to come up with the a way of accessing a Sybase
> DB throgh the web.  I have a moderate sized DB and am familiar with
> webSql.  In essence, what I am after is exploring/docmenting/comparing
> the conventional as well as * ways of achieving the above
> mentioned task. Any and every input is greatly appreciated.

>         Ultimately, I also wish to avail some level of functionality
> (basic at first) to preform the old Add/Delete/Update mechanism to the
> web GUI I am putting together.

>         Particular focus:       Perl, JAVA, JDBC <you get my point:->

>         Thanks!

> --Ben

Ben,
   I have had success using Perl (version 5.004 is current) with
Sybase::CTLib/::DBLib/::BCP in conjunction with the CGI::* module to
write forms and frames based front end applications to a set of SYBASE
DBMS servers.  I have no experience with Java/JDBC/etc., but would
assert that for the level of functionality which you require (as per
above) these rather immature technologies are not at all necessary.  I
suppose that I should now cop to being a great fan of Perl and use it in
other contexts as well (systems/network programming, etc.) and am
inclined to use it whenever I can.  If flexibility is of use to you
think Perl, it has been characterized as the "swiss army chainsaw of
programming languages".  Good luck.

Michael
--
Michael Shael O'Neill Selden

Remove "BAN_SPAM." From Address To Return Mail
PGP Public Key Available Upon Request

WebSQL vs ???

Post by Rob Twe » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

>HI!

>    I am trying to come up with the a way of accessing a Sybase
>DB throgh the web.  I have a moderate sized DB and am familiar with
>webSql.  In essence, what I am after is exploring/docmenting/comparing
>the conventional as well as * ways of achieving the above mentioned
>task. Any and every input is greatly appreciated.

>    Ultimately, I also wish to avail some level of functionality
>(basic at first) to preform the old Add/Delete/Update mechanism to the
>web GUI I am putting together.

Have a look at WDBC - this moves the focus of the work back to the
application server and effectievly turns the web server into a pipe so
the back-end app can communicate directly with the browser.

Have a look at http://www.veryComputer.com/

---
Rob Tweed
Nucleus Design Ltd         : http://www.veryComputer.com/
M/Gateway Developments Ltd : http://www.veryComputer.com/

---

WebSQL vs ???

Post by David Lance Wol » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

Dont forget about Dynamo from Sybase.  Include session management,
scheduling of refreshes, etc.

Dave Wolf
Sybase Professioanl Services

1. webSQL with NSAPI?

I'm using webSQL 1.1 (CGI) to interface with Sybase.
This works fine, but have not gotten webSQL to work
with NSAPI (Netscape Enterprise Server 2.0 on Solaris 2).
Error message on server:
   'no way to service request for /websql1.1/welcome.hts/'

Any thoughts/experience out there?

                          /FRanco

--
Franco C. Maras
Ericsson Data Services Americas

http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/4605

2. GET THE CASH YOU NEED ////////////

3. WebSQL support for Apache/Stronghold

4. How to create bi-directional reports?

5. Websql NSAPI for NT

6. View contents of Transaction Log?

7. User authentication with websql

8. Logical Logs