Slow response, jerky movement of curson

Post by Tom Burk » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 05:49:22

Almost every time I click on a folder, file, or link, it
takes several seconds for the destination page to get
posted and for the cursor so move smoothly. During the
transition, the cursor moves jerkily and won't allow me to
make the next move.

I assume that this is the result of the destination page
taking a lot of time to load. My question - is this a
result of low system resources?  Going to Control
Panel/System/Performance, I usually see that the system
is "28% free" or some such.

Is this the reason, and if so, is there any way I can free
up more of he system?  What is an acceptable/optimal
amount of "free" in the system?

(I have an HP 6535, 255 mb RAM, and 466 MhZ chip)

Slow response, jerky movement of curson

Post by Gerry Cornel » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:03:42

Tom

I would take measures to release System Resources but you may have other problems. Solutions to tackle low System Resources break down as follows:

1. Too many 32 bit programmes loading at Startup. From within programmes change them if appropriate to be available on demand and not running in background. Close programmes after use.
http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startlist.htm

2. 16 bit and dos programmes not releasing resources whilst there is a single remaining 16 bit programme running in background. Solution shutdown and restart computer.

3. Resource hogging programmes such as PhotoShop, IE, WMP/RP and  others. Don't leave windows etc open after you have moved on. Minimise other programmes in use whilst running these programmes. I need to do some more research myself on these type of programmes particularly IE.

In addition there are programmes which do not happily co-exist with other programmes e.g. Crashguard. You need to watch utilities, particularly those offering all round continuous protection!

The system warns if System Resources fall to 10%. It is frequently said that the user does not need to worry unless system Resources reach near exhaustion. It still seems sensible, however, not to waste resources!

Some programmes running in the background can cause problems. Ones which comes to mind:

1. Find Fast if you have Office 97 or Office 2000. Disable it.

2. "Compact messages in background" in Tools, Options Maintenance in Outlook Express.

3. Continuous virus scanning -use a different virus protection strategy.

4. You might run Adaware to see how many parasites you have gained:
http://www.aumha.org/freeware.htm

Good housekeeping might be overdue:

1. In Outlook Express empty Deleted Items folder.

2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.

3. Remove Temporary Internet Files by selecting Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, General tab, Delete Files and check box for "Delete all offline content".

4. Empty Recycle Bin.

5. Run Disk Defragmenter in Safe Mode.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Almost every time I click on a folder, file, or link, it
> takes several seconds for the destination page to get
> posted and for the cursor so move smoothly. During the
> transition, the cursor moves jerkily and won't allow me to
> make the next move.

> I assume that this is the result of the destination page
> taking a lot of time to load. My question - is this a
> result of low system resources?  Going to Control
> Panel/System/Performance, I usually see that the system
> is "28% free" or some such.

> Is this the reason, and if so, is there any way I can free
> up more of he system?  What is an acceptable/optimal
> amount of "free" in the system?

> (I have an HP 6535, 255 mb RAM, and 466 MhZ chip)

Slow response, jerky movement of curson

Post by Mikhail Zhili » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:38:38

Tom, in addition to Gerry Cornell.

1. Close all the documents, and copy (not move!) "c:\My Documents"
folder (not "My Documents" you see under My Computer) to any subfolder
of this drive. Delete the original folder with all its content, and
*move* the copy (it will have the same "My Documents" name) back to the
original place.

2. Increase the icon cache. You can download the reg-file from my site,
www.aha.ru/~mwz/files/iconsmaxcache.reg (right click this link -- Save
Target as...). Double click the downloaded file -- confirm merging --
restart.

The content of that file:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer]
"Max Cached Icons"="2048"

--
Mikhail Zhilin (MS MVP - Win9x)
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz

Quote:>Almost every time I click on a folder, file, or link, it
>takes several seconds for the destination page to get
>posted and for the cursor so move smoothly. During the
>transition, the cursor moves jerkily and won't allow me to
>make the next move.

>I assume that this is the result of the destination page
>taking a lot of time to load. My question - is this a
>result of low system resources?  Going to Control
>Panel/System/Performance, I usually see that the system
>is "28% free" or some such.

>Is this the reason, and if so, is there any way I can free
>up more of he system?  What is an acceptable/optimal
>amount of "free" in the system?

>(I have an HP 6535, 255 mb RAM, and 466 MhZ chip)

1. Is Slow Response (Jerky Mouse, etc.)due to W98 Upgrade?

For the past few weeks I have had a problem with my sytem's response
becoming VERY slow and jerky. This is evident with apps opening and
closing, screen refreshes and even the system sounds (such as wav files
which play when certain apps are opened or windows are minimized, etc.),
which play in a very staccato (sp?) way. ("You...ve...go...t...ma...il")

I can't pinpoint any particular app I've installed in the past few weeks
which might have started the problem, but I have been notified by the Win
98Se Upgrade utility that upgrades were available, and I have downloaded
and installed them. Could one of these been the culprit? Is anyone else
having this problem.

It seems to be worse when I run Outlook Express or IE5, and it remains so
even after I've shut them down, but I haven't conlusively determined that
this is always true.

I have a Pentium 233MMX, with 160 MB RAM.

Jack

2. FS:Sparc 5s 85-32-P46 $479.00

3. Downloads & Calendar

4. Jerky mouse cursor movement - report rate adjustment?

5. Newbie,8051,SBUF question

6. Intellimouse Explorer Jerky Movement Saga

7. NCD flyback

8. Jerky mouse cursor movement - report rate?

9. Intermitent mouse problem/jerky movements...

10. Mouse Slows/Is Jerky

11. Slow clock, Jerky mouse

12. Slow clock jerky mouse