Windows 98 MSDE installation

Post by Kirk Crookha » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 00:51:55

I am trying to install MSDE on a Windows 98 operating
system that had a previous installation.  I fully removed
the other installation.  The install appears successful
but after a reboot, I get the following
message: "Microsoft Data Engine Rebooted the system but
the installation was unsuccessful."  I am at a loss of how
to get a successful installation.

Windows 98 MSDE installation

Post by Rob » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:02:59

MSDE requires a Pentium class Processor .................

On a Microsoft Windows 98-based computer, edit the Path statement in the Autoexec.bat file and either add or correct the path to MSDE 1.0.

File and Print sharing enabled?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q198977
ACC2000: Can't Connect to MSDE or SQL Server 7 Desktop Edition

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q199395
ACC2000: Determining If You Are Running MSDE or SQL Server 7.0

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q234626
SAMPLE: Setup1.exe Fully Automating MSDE Setup with the Package and Deployment Wizard (PDW)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q231923
HOWTO: Distribute the Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE) With the Package and Deployment Wizard (PDW) (Q231923)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q251270
INFO: Where to Find Information About MSDE for Visual Studio

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q232619
INFO: MSDE for Visual Studio Resources and Readme Contents

I also suspect you need to upgrade your ODBC/MDAC to
at least 2.6....

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q209828
ACC2000: Update ODBC Stored Procedures with Office/Access 2000 SQL Script

http://www.microsoft.com/data/download.htm
ODBC - MDAC Downloads

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q307/2/55.ASP
INFO: Component Checker: Diagnose Problems and Reconfigure MDAC Installations

--
Rob
Supporting Member, Cascade Bicycle Club

> I am trying to install MSDE on a Windows 98 operating
> system that had a previous installation.  I fully removed
> the other installation.  The install appears successful
> but after a reboot, I get the following
> message: "Microsoft Data Engine Rebooted the system but
> the installation was unsuccessful."  I am at a loss of how
> to get a successful installation.

1. Windows 98 first edition and MSDE

Hi,

I am having troubling getting MSDE unattended install to
work with Windows 98 first edition.
I've tried it in a few different setups:
Windows 98 with IE 5
Windows 98 with IE 5.5
Windows 98 with IE 6.0
none of these seem to work.
The unattended install seems to bomb out with a "not
responding" message on a file: "_ins5176".

Also, when I've tried installing it from a installation
CD created in house with our program I get a SQL-DMO
error 429. message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.
Hiro.

2. Looking for upgrade for ezcdpro

3. Installation Outlook 98 English version under Windows 98 Dutch version

4. Expanding SE/30

5. Installation of Windows 98 with Windows NT

6. Problem accessing Exchange mail using Browser

7. Windows 2000 Server and MSDE SQL Databases

8. MemoryMgr.c,Line:3296,Inavalid Handle

9. How to fix it - Re: Dual-boot existing Windows 2000 and 98 installations

10. Remote Installation of Windows 98

11. Lost Windows 98 se installation disk

12. Windows 98 SE re-installation

13. windows 98 driver installation