Scandisk keeps restarting

Post by Brian A » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:24:58

withheld,
 Try running scandisk in Safemode. If that does not help see:
Description of ScanDisk for Windows (Scandskw.exe) in Windows 98/Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186365

Err Msg: ScanDisk Has Restarted 10 Times Because Windows...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222469

List of Articles About the ScanDisk Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287914

--

Brian A.

> Having trouble with scandisk in windows 98se. When running
> scandisk in windows it takes days to complete. I have cked
> for viruses and it shows no infection. I get a message box
> that shows a program keeps writing to disk and interupting
> scandisk so it starts up over and over. This is very
> frustrating because I would like to see if there are
> crosslinked or bad files or clusters. I checked the
> knowledge base and nothing seems to apply

Scandisk keeps restarting

Post by Gerry Cornel » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 00:32:08

Run Scandisk in Safe Mode.

To start Windows in safe mode Click Start, and then click Shut down. Click
Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows 98 Start-up Menu appears. For some machines, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the Microsoft Windows 98 Start-up Menu. Enter the number
for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

OR

Run Scandisk in MS-Dos mode. At the C:> prompt type Scandisk and press the ENTER key. Type EXIT to return to normal mode

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Having trouble with scandisk in windows 98se. When running
> scandisk in windows it takes days to complete. I have cked
> for viruses and it shows no infection. I get a message box
> that shows a program keeps writing to disk and interupting
> scandisk so it starts up over and over. This is very
> frustrating because I would like to see if there are
> crosslinked or bad files or clusters. I checked the
> knowledge base and nothing seems to apply

Scandisk keeps restarting

Post by Grazze » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 01:04:27

ScanDefrag will cleanup, scandisk, defrag, and more
while keeping interference at a minimum.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bblanton2/scandefrag/main.htm
or http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/index.html
complements of The ScanDefrag Team, enjoy!

--
Grazzer
_-Oo_

Quote:> Having trouble with scandisk in windows 98se. When running
> scandisk in windows it takes days to complete. I have cked
> for viruses and it shows no infection. I get a message box
> that shows a program keeps writing to disk and interupting
> scandisk so it starts up over and over. This is very
> frustrating because I would like to see if there are
> crosslinked or bad files or clusters. I checked the
> knowledge base and nothing seems to apply

1. Scandisk keeps restarting

1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver-- None)
2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always On,Never,Never,Never)
3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection
4. Suspend Task Scheduler
5. Turn off interfering programs, until Scandisk/Defrag no longer constantly re-start. Start with your Virus Scanner, using it's Tray button. Then all else, that way, if necessary. Then, if necessary, Ctrl-Alt-Del all but Explorer & Systray, or use "EndItAll2" from PCMag (below). Afterwards, a reboot will turn them all back on.
6. "START, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup", or use "HDValet" from PCMag
7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
8. "START - Run - Defrag /p /details".  Apparently, "/p" Defrags the unmovables..

The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when this says so:
http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders

(I also like to turn off VM, before the Defrag, but, as there is a severe Microsoft warning against it, I won't actually recommend it. If you do, TURN IT BACK ON, after the Defrag. I've discovered, if you try to enter a Windows DOS session with VM off, you will crash. WARNING: I have seen a post on this site where a user with 64MB RAM said, he could not boot, with VM turned off. Maybe, do it this way every fifth time.)

--
Thanks & Good Luck,
PCR

| Having trouble with scandisk in windows 98se. When running
| scandisk in windows it takes days to complete. I have cked
| for viruses and it shows no infection. I get a message box
| that shows a program keeps writing to disk and interupting
| scandisk so it starts up over and over. This is very
| frustrating because I would like to see if there are
| crosslinked or bad files or clusters. I checked the
| knowledge base and nothing seems to apply

2. Annoying problem with MSN Messenger – tray icon

3. ScanDisk keeps restarting and won't finish

4. Calcomp plotter 1026 & ACAD 12 DOS

5. Scandisk keeps restarting

6. Visual C++ sample

7. scandisk keeps restarting

8. Scandisk and defrag keep restarting

9. Scandisk keeps running

10. Scandisk & Defrag Keep Reseting Even In Safe Mode!

11. ScanDisk keeps on running

12. ICS Network Activity & Scandisk Restarts