Fdisk

Post by William Morin » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:44:59

I have a 80 gb hard drive that is being reported as a 10
gb hard drive when I do a fdisk on it. In my bios setup it
says that it is a 80 gb hard drive. Fdisk /status also
says that it is a 10 gb hard drive, but this is not
correct. Any help with this.

Fdisk

Post by Bill Blanto » Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:01:22

> I have a 80 gb hard drive that is being reported as a 10
> gb hard drive when I do a fdisk on it. In my bios setup it
> says that it is a 80 gb hard drive. Fdisk /status also
> says that it is a 10 gb hard drive, but this is not
> correct. Any help with this.

Your version of fdisk cannot handle drives larger than 64GB. The
size it is reporting is the full size minus 64GB. In effect the value
is wrapping around. 80GB as advertised is actually defined
by the OS as 74.5GB.. minus 64GB..

There's a fix here-
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044

1. ntfs in fdisk no fat32 in fdisk 2 different drives

ntfs in fdisk no fat32 in fdisk 2 different drives

1 drive I booted to a win 2000 cd install boot disk
and asked to install set up files - did this then rebooted
in 14 seconds to no operating system.

Does anyone know a fix to this?

Rebooted 50 times to no operating system.

I had to leave the house during format of ntfs
when I got home screen said no operating system.

Rebooted cold and go into the win 2000 boot cd
would not install the setup files in the dir on the screen
so put 84 on the end and it copied the setup files
then rebooted to no operating system.

I think something mess up in formatting the fat 32 to ntfs.

How do I reformat it?  ntfs ?

In fdisk it sees the ntfs partition and its A active

I switched HD's to a fat 32 one I did not format ntfs
and it would not boot to the win 2000 cd bootable disk

Gave me no ide drive detected 50 times of booting up
Did detect the ide fat32 drive 2 times then I messed something up
I have no idea what I did.

fdisk finds no HD now on the fat32 drive
fdisk finds the ntfs and partition is active

Any suggestions

These are brand new HD's my friend just did a surface scan for errors
and they booted up to C with 2 files on them I do not remember the names
right now.

thanks

--
Vacation pictures here
http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/

2. Cassette-based software for Tandy CoCo for auction

3. Fdisk.com & Fdisk.exe

4. My HIMEM.SYS is on strike

5. HELP - Somebody Stop me before I FDISK again

6. Boosters for cordless phones?!

7. How to save the preferred addresses from i explorere 5.5 on a fdisk.

8. Using Windows 2000 with Virtual PC

9. fdisk

10. How do I FDISK my computer?

11. Fdisk NTFS partition

12. fdisk /mbr?

13. How to reactivate NTFS-Partition deleted with DOS FDISK ?