My C: Drive is full

Post by Jim_Carte » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 11:47:34

I need to install a larger hard drive as my system disk.  I have backed up
my 5-GB C: drive to another hard drive.  I believe all I have to do is use
XCOPY32 to copy the contents of my C: drive to another (larger) drive and
then replace my C:drive with this drive and set jumper to Master.  I also
will use FDISK to make the new C: drive Active.  Anything else?

I tried to find an faq site for this information, but was unsuccessful.  Any
help would be appreciated.

Jim Carter

My C: Drive is full

Post by Bindar Dunda » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:04:31

Quite often the manufacturer of the new drive will include software that
will set up your new drive and allow you to copy the files from the old one
all at one time.  Check the web site of the new drive manufacturer.
--
George (Bindar Dundat)
Running a computer with Murphy's law built into the BIOS.

Quote:> I need to install a larger hard drive as my system disk.  I have backed up
> my 5-GB C: drive to another hard drive.  I believe all I have to do is use
> XCOPY32 to copy the contents of my C: drive to another (larger) drive and
> then replace my C:drive with this drive and set jumper to Master.  I also
> will use FDISK to make the new C: drive Active.  Anything else?

> I tried to find an faq site for this information, but was unsuccessful.
Any
> help would be appreciated.

> Jim Carter

My C: Drive is full

Post by PCR » Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:34:42

Have you tried deleting the CONTENTS of
(1) C:\Windows\TEMP, after a fresh reboot.
(2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete all offline content, OK"
(3) Most of these shall never return again, and were work files, pre-V4:
   (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all files" & UNcheck "Hide file
extensions...".
   (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
   (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
   (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the "iuhist.xml" file.
(4) C:\Windows\APPLOG"
    This folder is used by Defrag to optimize the location of files on your partition. (Some files
in it seem extraordinarily large.) It will be recreated and the contents will accumulate, as the
second time any app is run it generates an .LGC in that folder. (Optlog.txt, in that folder, will be
recreated, when next you Defrag. Save the old one only to retain a record of every app that has run,
at least twice, to the date of your last Defrag.) I'm not sure.. this one may need to be done in
DOS.

http://www.veryComputer.com/; partitioning strategy
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/'s BootIt NG, has a variety of backup capabilities: Copy to HDD, or Image
to HDD or to CD. (TBIView, freely downloadable, can retrieve individual files from an Image.)
Shrink/expand your partitions without data loss. Multi-boot, if you dare. Free, run from floppy, but
pay up as I did if satisfied. To install & use beyond 30 days, $34.95.
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.*iapc.com/backup.htm MyOwnBackup (MOB) (Free)
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/(Free)
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/; lots of sturdy, free downloads
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/, performance, etc.
http://www.veryComputer.com/ WinZip
http://www.veryComputer.com/(Free, I think)
http://www.veryComputer.com/(Free)

All gathered at this site. Whichever you choose, approach it carefully and verify all is well. After
making a copy, run Scandisk/Defrag on it. If it's an Image, use it's verify option; perhaps, restore
it and do a Scandisk/Defrag.

--
Thanks & Good Luck,
PCR