Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Richard Keirl » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:37:21

Having read lots of posts on ME, including the ones that recommend not
touching it with a barge pole unless you can clap your hands on ME tweaked
drivers for ALL your hardware, I wondered why it was ever produced in the
first place?  I can see that I'm going to have to build another machine  to
play with it.  I don't know what posessed me a while ago to get a copy of
ME.  I'm gald that I haven't installed it on this machine, I think I prefer
to leave this one as it is - fully working.

regards, Richard Keirle

#*# Modern day IBM PC compatible computing consists mainly of upgrading
drivers,
and waiting for the ump*th time for the thing to REBOOT !!! ....AND going
past that "zombie" point where you simply cannot visually locate that huge
CLICK ME button that is currently smack-bang in front of you ! #*#

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Nutcas » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:20:53

Really?

Geez, I had better go ahead and format that partition I have it running
on.........and it's running so smooth too (shucks, guess it's just me
convincing myself of it).

Actually, I found a clean install of ME much easier than previous ones of
98. As far as drivers go, whose fault is it when a company doesn't put out
drivers for their products? ME specs were released to developers long before
it was released to the public. The same thing happens with any new OS
releases.

Personally, the only trouble I ran into was with the Adaptec burner software
I have, so I just run it in Win98 only, Adaptec won't upgrade for free (and
I won't get into the semantics of that). The only drivers I had to download
were for my HP printer and Voodoo3 card.

All-in-all, I like it, but I don't see it as a "mandatory" upgrade, just an
optional one.

just my 2
--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase"

Please reply only to newsgroup so that everyone can benefit. e-mail address
changed just enough to block spam, but I don't respond to unsolicited
messages. Thanks...

Quote:> Having read lots of posts on ME, including the ones that recommend not
> touching it with a barge pole unless you can clap your hands on ME tweaked
> drivers for ALL your hardware, I wondered why it was ever produced in the
> first place?  I can see that I'm going to have to build another machine
> play with it.  I don't know what posessed me a while ago to get a copy of
> ME.  I'm gald that I haven't installed it on this machine, I think I
prefer
> to leave this one as it is - fully working.

> regards, Richard Keirle

> #*# Modern day IBM PC compatible computing consists mainly of upgrading
> drivers,
> and waiting for the ump*th time for the thing to REBOOT !!! ....AND
going
> past that "zombie" point where you simply cannot visually locate that huge
> CLICK ME button that is currently smack-bang in front of you ! #*#

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Leon F » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:24:47

It was produced for one reason - to get you to pay them money. That is the
BOTTOM Line of any Corporation.

Quote:> Having read lots of posts on ME, including the ones that recommend not
> touching it with a barge pole unless you can clap your hands on ME
tweaked
> drivers for ALL your hardware, I wondered why it was ever produced in
the
> first place?  I can see that I'm going to have to build another machine
> play with it.  I don't know what posessed me a while ago to get a copy
of
> ME.  I'm gald that I haven't installed it on this machine, I think I
prefer
> to leave this one as it is - fully working.

> regards, Richard Keirle

> #*# Modern day IBM PC compatible computing consists mainly of upgrading
> drivers,
> and waiting for the ump*th time for the thing to REBOOT !!! ....AND
going
> past that "zombie" point where you simply cannot visually locate that
huge
> CLICK ME button that is currently smack-bang in front of you ! #*#

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Fred Sepane » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 00:34:56

Rick,

I had Easy CD Creator v3.5c on my old Win98 machine, just bought a new custom
built Athlon (WinME) with a Plextor CD-RW that came with Easy CD version 4.02d -
I went to Adaptec's (Roxio) site and downloaded their latest version ECDC v4.03.

It works just fine, no problems, actually none with v4.02d either but decided to
get the "latest." There is no charge for these upgrades unless you are referring
to their deluxe version.

Fred

> Really?

> Geez, I had better go ahead and format that partition I have it running
> on.........and it's running so smooth too (shucks, guess it's just me
> convincing myself of it).

> Actually, I found a clean install of ME much easier than previous ones of
> 98. As far as drivers go, whose fault is it when a company doesn't put out
> drivers for their products? ME specs were released to developers long before
> it was released to the public. The same thing happens with any new OS
> releases.

> Personally, the only trouble I ran into was with the Adaptec burner software
> I have, so I just run it in Win98 only, Adaptec won't upgrade for free (and
> I won't get into the semantics of that). The only drivers I had to download
> were for my HP printer and Voodoo3 card.

> All-in-all, I like it, but I don't see it as a "mandatory" upgrade, just an
> optional one.

> just my 2
> --
> Best of Luck,

> Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase"

> Please reply only to newsgroup so that everyone can benefit. e-mail address
> changed just enough to block spam, but I don't respond to unsolicited
> messages. Thanks...

> > Having read lots of posts on ME, including the ones that recommend not
> > touching it with a barge pole unless you can clap your hands on ME tweaked
> > drivers for ALL your hardware, I wondered why it was ever produced in the
> > first place?  I can see that I'm going to have to build another machine
> > play with it.  I don't know what posessed me a while ago to get a copy of
> > ME.  I'm gald that I haven't installed it on this machine, I think I
> prefer
> > to leave this one as it is - fully working.

> > regards, Richard Keirle

> > #*# Modern day IBM PC compatible computing consists mainly of upgrading
> > drivers,
> > and waiting for the ump*th time for the thing to REBOOT !!! ....AND
> going
> > past that "zombie" point where you simply cannot visually locate that huge
> > CLICK ME button that is currently smack-bang in front of you ! #*#

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Joe Robi » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 04:13:02

I "upgraded" from Win98SE to WinME. Clean install (used the WinME version
for people having Win98, forgot the name). Have performed numerous clean
installs on numerous computers so not a newbie. All went smoothly with the
install (except that ACPI never working properly, but we'll be charitable
and say that that's a Compaq issue with their hardware).

Results: WinME performance is much worse than Win98SE in my opinion: Sounds
and games would "stutter", movies momentarily freeze, lots of hard drive
thrashing. Updated drivers were used if available. Norton 2001 claimed all
was well. This was with 256MB RAM on a 550MHz PIII machine. Have reinstalled
Win98SE and all is well again.

>Having read lots of posts on ME, including the ones that recommend not
>touching it with a barge pole unless you can clap your hands on ME tweaked
>drivers for ALL your hardware, I wondered why it was ever produced in the
>first place?  I can see that I'm going to have to build another machine  to
>play with it.  I don't know what posessed me a while ago to get a copy of
>ME.  I'm gald that I haven't installed it on this machine, I think I prefer
>to leave this one as it is - fully working.

>regards, Richard Keirle

>#*# Modern day IBM PC compatible computing consists mainly of upgrading
>drivers,
>and waiting for the ump*th time for the thing to REBOOT !!! ....AND
going
>past that "zombie" point where you simply cannot visually locate that huge
>CLICK ME button that is currently smack-bang in front of you ! #*#

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by JerryMc » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 07:50:49

If you upgrade Win98SE to Win98ME, it is backward compatible for all the
working drivers on SE.
but,
If you do a clean install, you will have to upgrade all drivers that are not
compatible with ME.

Having read lots of posts on ME, including the ones that recommend not
touching it with a barge pole unless you can clap your hands on ME tweaked
drivers for ALL your hardware,

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Jeff Richard » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:15:11

I can only speak from my own experience.

I installed ME on a new machine, a fairly standard PIII 800Mhz with 128Mb,
20Gb hard drive and 50x CD drive.   I configured it with just a mouse,
keyboard and network card, and It went straight through the process with no
problems. It worked 100% on first reboot.   On the advice of the motherboard
manufacturer, I installed the WinME motherboard drivers.

I added a DVD drive and it was identified and installed automatically.

I then added a SCSI card and scanner, with W9x drivers, and that worked
perfectly.

I then added a parallel port flash card reader with W9x drivers, and again
it was 100% - in fact, as previously installed on a W98 machine this device
tended to disappear occasionally.  I haven't had that problem with the ME
system.

Then I added a USB gamepad, and again it went without a hitch.  I did have a
problem with a joystick on the gameport that would be recognised only
sometimes, but MS acknowledges this is a problem with this joystick and
'some' new PCs, so I don't think it's an ME problem.

Finally I added a remote (network) WinPrinter with W9x drivers.  I would
regard this as likely to create problems, but it didn't and the machine
prints just fine.

As far as I can tell, ME is very solid and very compatible with devices that
have only W9x drivers.  YMMV.
--
Jeff Richards
1999 MVP (DTS)

Quote:> Having read lots of posts on ME, including the ones that recommend not
> touching it with a barge pole unless you can clap your hands on ME tweaked
> drivers for ALL your hardware, I wondered why it was ever produced in the
> first place?  I can see that I'm going to have to build another machine
> play with it.  I don't know what posessed me a while ago to get a copy of
> ME.  I'm gald that I haven't installed it on this machine, I think I
prefer
> to leave this one as it is - fully working.

> regards, Richard Keirle

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Nutcas » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 08:39:58

Hi Fred,

I know there are normally no-charge upgrades, but they will charge to
upgrade 3.5 to 4+. As it was explained to me, it was for the "new features"
(namely the ability to convert mp3's to CD Audio).
--
> [...]

> > > first place?  I can see that I'm going to have to build another
machine
> > > play with it.  I don't know what posessed me a while ago to get a copy
of
> > > ME.  I'm gald that I haven't installed it on this machine, I think I
> > prefer
> > > to leave this one as it is - fully working.

> > > regards, Richard Keirle

> > > #*# Modern day IBM PC compatible computing consists mainly of
upgrading
> > > drivers,
> > > and waiting for the ump*th time for the thing to REBOOT !!! ....AND
> > going
> > > past that "zombie" point where you simply cannot visually locate that
huge
> > > CLICK ME button that is currently smack-bang in front of you ! #*#

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Richard Keirl » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 09:56:11

Just spotted this thread, I forgto to put the sunglasses "watch" on it, all
interesting posts, I've started assembling my parts for nother pc, I'll
stick it (ME) in that :-)

regards, Richard Keirle

#*# Modern day IBM PC compatible computing consists mainly of upgrading
drivers,
and waiting for the ump*th time for the thing to REBOOT !!! ....AND going
past that "zombie" point where you simply cannot visually locate that huge
CLICK ME button that is currently smack-bang in front of you ! #*#

Quote:> Having read lots of posts on ME, including the ones that recommend not
> touching it with a barge pole unless you can clap your hands on ME tweaked
> drivers for ALL your hardware, I wondered why it was ever produced in the
> first place?  I can see that I'm going to have to build another machine
> play with it.  I don't know what posessed me a while ago to get a copy of
> ME.  I'm gald that I haven't installed it on this machine, I think I
prefer
> to leave this one as it is - fully working.

> regards, Richard Keirle

> #*# Modern day IBM PC compatible computing consists mainly of upgrading
> drivers,
> and waiting for the ump*th time for the thing to REBOOT !!! ....AND
going
> past that "zombie" point where you simply cannot visually locate that huge
> CLICK ME button that is currently smack-bang in front of you ! #*#

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Fred Sepane » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:12:07

Jeff,

I noticed that you installed a flashcard reader. I have a WinME system, Athlon
1GHz, 256MB, etc., and a SanDisk Flashcard reader. The flashcard reader is a
real problem in WinME although it works fine in Win98.

I find that the SanDisk reader installs fine, then after the next boot, it
installs itself again. Sometimes just inserting a flashcard causes it to install
again (Windows has found new hardware, etc. etc.). After four or five times the
system just would not boot without a protection error. Worse yet, the system
would not boot into safemode. It tried but gets to the safemode screen then
freezes, the mouse is gone, sometimes I can use the tab keys to move around.
Found out that I needed to REMOVE the SanDisk USB cord, THEN I could get into
SafeMode.  Above I mentioned the SanDisk works Ok in Win98, it does, but I found
that if I unplug it and reinsert it, it re-installs itself in W98 too. As long
as I don't plug and unplug it then it works fine. I also found that it messed up
SafeMode on the Win98 PC (Intel Chipset).

When there I found up to six installations of the Authenticated SanDisk storage
device, six storage disks entries, six USB entries for the flashcard reader.
Only after deleting all of them was I able to get back to normal, run scandisk
to fix improper shutdown errors, etc.

My system is using an ASUS A7V mobo, VIA chipset (some have said that might be a
factor) but others report problems with Intel chipsets too, I've installed the
4-in-1 via updates, and so on.

I use Corel Suite 8 Presentations for digital pics slideshows which I put on CDs
for friends/family. PR8 has problems with WinME. Shows that run without a hitch
on W95 and W98 cause lockups, freezes, or sometimes just shut down. I had the
same things happen with Media Player too.

Gotta tell ya, a WinME service pak will be welcomed by me and quite a few
others.

I've got the slideshows working now by shutting down my AGP from 4X to 1X and
changing my CMOS for SDRAM speed from 133 to 100. This seems to help with the
PR8 software and Media Player.

This is not intended to be ultra critical but there are real problems with
WinME. The Newsgrourps are full of folks with serious problems and not all of
them are just "old" hardware - my system is one month old!

What Flashcard reader are you using? I'd like to know because SanDisk is really
dragging their feet on this and I'm tempted to just return it and get something
different.

Thanks, Fred

> I can only speak from my own experience.

> I installed ME on a new machine, a fairly standard PIII 800Mhz with 128Mb,
> 20Gb hard drive and 50x CD drive.   I configured it with just a mouse,
> keyboard and network card, and It went straight through the process with no
> problems. It worked 100% on first reboot.   On the advice of the motherboard
> manufacturer, I installed the WinME motherboard drivers.

> I added a DVD drive and it was identified and installed automatically.

> I then added a SCSI card and scanner, with W9x drivers, and that worked
> perfectly.

> I then added a parallel port flash card reader with W9x drivers, and again
> it was 100% - in fact, as previously installed on a W98 machine this device
> tended to disappear occasionally.  I haven't had that problem with the ME
> system.

> Then I added a USB gamepad, and again it went without a hitch.  I did have a
> problem with a joystick on the gameport that would be recognised only
> sometimes, but MS acknowledges this is a problem with this joystick and
> 'some' new PCs, so I don't think it's an ME problem.

> Finally I added a remote (network) WinPrinter with W9x drivers.  I would
> regard this as likely to create problems, but it didn't and the machine
> prints just fine.

> As far as I can tell, ME is very solid and very compatible with devices that
> have only W9x drivers.  YMMV.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> 1999 MVP (DTS)

> > Having read lots of posts on ME, including the ones that recommend not
> > touching it with a barge pole unless you can clap your hands on ME tweaked
> > drivers for ALL your hardware, I wondered why it was ever produced in the
> > first place?  I can see that I'm going to have to build another machine
> > play with it.  I don't know what posessed me a while ago to get a copy of
> > ME.  I'm gald that I haven't installed it on this machine, I think I
> prefer
> > to leave this one as it is - fully working.

> > regards, Richard Keirle

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Jeff Richard » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:45:30

My flashcard reader is "Film Reader Model PIC2" parallel port device, but I
have no idea of the manufacturer - it seems to be a genuine 'no-name'.

If you can change system behaviour by adjusting the graphics acceleration or
changing the RAM bus speed then I would suspect hardware ahead of software.
But I do know that problems have been reported with the Sandisk USB reader,
and there have been several releases of the driver software.   You may have
two different sets of problems.    I don't know enough about ME yet to offer
specific advice (you'll do better in a proper ME forum) but if you have
access to a good diagnostics suite, especially one that exercises RAM, then
that could be a good place to start.
--
Jeff Richards
1999 MVP (DTS)

Quote:> Jeff,

> [...]

> others.

> I've got the slideshows working now by shutting down my AGP from 4X to 1X
and
> changing my CMOS for SDRAM speed from 133 to 100. This seems to help with
the
> PR8 software and Media Player.

> This is not intended to be ultra critical but there are real problems with
> WinME. The Newsgrourps are full of folks with serious problems and not all
of
> them are just "old" hardware - my system is one month old!

> What Flashcard reader are you using? I'd like to know because SanDisk is
really
> dragging their feet on this and I'm tempted to just return it and get
something
> different.

> Thanks, Fred

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Fred Sepane » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 00:45:08

Thanks Jeff, I'll look into that.

Fred

> [...]

> > others.

> > I've got the slideshows working now by shutting down my AGP from 4X to 1X
> and
> > changing my CMOS for SDRAM speed from 133 to 100. This seems to help with
> the
> > PR8 software and Media Player.

> > This is not intended to be ultra critical but there are real problems with
> > WinME. The Newsgrourps are full of folks with serious problems and not all
> of
> > them are just "old" hardware - my system is one month old!

> > What Flashcard reader are you using? I'd like to know because SanDisk is
> really
> > dragging their feet on this and I'm tempted to just return it and get
> something
> > different.

> > Thanks, Fred

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by James W. Glas » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:42:22

Just had a somewhat similar problem (98se) with a USB hub with CFflash
reader installed.  Apparently, I set PCI bus  general tab to "use hardware"
instead of "use bios" during one of those circular/recursive (you know what
I mean) error detection sessions with a failed usb hub.  In my case the bus
simply rebooted to safe mode, but booted ok with the correct PCI setting. Do
you have the latest sandisk drivers?

> [...]

> > have only W9x drivers.  YMMV.
> > --
> > Jeff Richards
> > 1999 MVP (DTS)

> > > Having read lots of posts on ME, including the ones that recommend not
> > > touching it with a barge pole unless you can clap your hands on ME
tweaked
> > > drivers for ALL your hardware, I wondered why it was ever produced in
the
> > > first place?  I can see that I'm going to have to build another
machine
> > > play with it.  I don't know what posessed me a while ago to get a copy
of
> > > ME.  I'm gald that I haven't installed it on this machine, I think I
> > prefer
> > > to leave this one as it is - fully working.

> > > regards, Richard Keirle

Is Windows Millenium a joke or something !

Post by Fred Sepane » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 03:33:39

Jim,

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the results of the change from Use HW to
Use BIOS.

Could you explain further?

Thanks, Fred

> [...]

> again
> > > it was 100% - in fact, as previously installed on a W98 machine this
> device
> > > tended to disappear occasionally.  I haven't had that problem with the
> ME
> > > system.

> > > Then I added a USB gamepad, and again it went without a hitch.  I did
> have a
> > > problem with a joystick on the gameport that would be recognised only
> > > sometimes, but MS acknowledges this is a problem with this joystick and
> > > 'some' new PCs, so I don't think it's an ME problem.

> > > Finally I added a remote (network) WinPrinter with W9x drivers.  I would
> > > regard this as likely to create problems, but it didn't and the machine
> > > prints just fine.

> > > As far as I can tell, ME is very solid and very compatible with devices

1. Winows Millenium - Big Freaking JOKE! (must bitch)

A couple of weeks ago I installed a developers copy of Millennium.

I was really pissed of from the start.  It is totally 98 with another
service pack.  And their giving it a whole new name to charge more money
for a service pack (again).

98 was really an $80 service pack for 95, and they actually charge $20
for the 98SE service pack.  Now how much will they charge for
Millennium?

New:  A few Icons, Scanner/Camera support and networking looks more like
Win2K.

Other than that it is totally 98.  The install was EXACTLY a Win98
install.  What tripped me out was that if you look at the help files
some of them are titled like "New feature in 98".
That totally give it away.

Millennium is another freaking service pack!
And even worse - there is still 3.11 code in it just like 98.

What OS's has Microsoft written from scratch?   (2000 is really a NT
mod)
Win95
WinNT

That's it!

Rant rant - Microsoft pisses me off!

:)

2. Xinteranimate problem!!

3. Disabling Users - Am I missing Something Simple???

4. Extensa 600CD chipset?

5. Indexing Service--Am I Missing Something?

6. delete from mailing list

7. Am I Missing Something???

8. Am I doing Something Stupid

9. Maybe I am just missing something, but?

10. Am I missing something?

11. Windows 2000 and Windows Millenium

12. Windows 2000 and Windows Millenium Multiboot Setup