is win98 all it is cracked up to be ?

Post by Tim Simm » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Honest answers please.  I am about to embark on a major company upgrade.  Is
it woth the money?

is win98 all it is cracked up to be ?

Post by Mark S. Odd » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

think of it as Win95 Enhanced .. if your users are experiencing many
problems then I think an upgrade is warranted, however, if your machines are
running fine and you already have IE 4.01SP running (this gets you halfway
to Win98 anyways) then leave well enough alone.  Also, if you decide to
upgrade and don't need PNP or run old legacy programs and your machines have
the muscle, give NT4 a strong look.

regards

Marko

>Honest answers please.  I am about to embark on a major company upgrade.
Is
>it woth the money?

is win98 all it is cracked up to be ?

Post by ra » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
Personally I would not recommend Win98 for business use. It is my feeling
that most of it's enhancements are more targeted towards home users. My
company is sticking with Win95 until NT5 (Windows 2000) comes out. I feel
that this is probably the best move.
-ra

Quote:>Honest answers please.  I am about to embark on a major company upgrade.
Is
>it woth the money?

is win98 all it is cracked up to be ?

Post by Jeff Richard » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

If your systems are relatively stable there is no good business reason for
upgrading to W98. Many companies are running a compromise of W98 on new
machines and only upgrading W95 users if their systems have to be rebuilt
for some reason.  Having a mixture does not create a significant support
problem.

Post by James A. Eshelma » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Honest answers please.  I am about to embark on a major company upgrade.
Is
>it woth the money?

 Oh yeah!

---
JAE
Member, On Computers A-Team

http://oncomputers.msn.com

"It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling
exception, is composed of others."   --John Andrew Holmes

Post by Wonko the San » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Honest answers please.  I am about to embark on a major company upgrade.
Is
>it woth the money?

     I think it depends on your company's needs.  Is security an issue?  If
so, you should probably consider WinNT instead of Win98.  My personal
experience with both has been relatively good (I use WinNT at work and Win98
at home), though neither is completely flawless.  I do have occasional
problems on Win98; on occasion, a few applications seem to cause the system
to freeze up for no apparent reason.  I assume it's because of some kind of
driver problem, but I haven't been able to isolate it yet.

--
-Mike

The above address is for spam deflection.  If you have
a legitimate reason to email me, please try either 'mvl'
at 'gateway.net' or 'Mike.Lease' at 'Digital.com'.

is win98 all it is cracked up to be ?

Post by jbarbe » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

    That question will have many answers. Some people like it and some
people hate it. It all depends on their personel experiences and problems.
Clearly it seems to be more of an issue to install over Win95 as you migrate
all the old problems with it. This group has many problems with it depending
on the hardware and the experience of the installer, also some packaged
computers need adjustments to handle it.
     For a company network obviously NT is the best but what is the cost?
Win98 is vastly superior to Win95 in the networking part of it, there are
just many more options.
    Should you update it? My reasons were to incorporate all the services
packs and updates, to use fat32 and to speed up the browser. All of those
needs were met and are working fine.

Quote:>Honest answers please.  I am about to embark on a major company upgrade.
Is
>it woth the money?

1. Am I admin or am I not Admin, that is the question.

Hi,
  Interesting anominaly.

  I am a member of the Domain Admins. The Domain Admins group is a local
member of the Administrators group of my laptop. In the Fax Service
Management console no devices appear for devices. Fax printer does exist.
  When I put my account directly into the Administrators group and log off
and log back on the device is present in the Fax Service Management console.
  I have the same type of problem with McAfee, I though I am in Domain Admin
it does not let me manage it unless my account is directly in the
Administrators group.

Has any one else seen this? Is this a policy setting somewhere?

- Andrew

2. preserve the white space

3. I am trying to protect my share folder with password....I am using WinXP OS.

4. Reocurring Invoice and also Emailing... Can you also access this via ODBC?

5. "pop ups" even when i am offline?

6. How can i get the TACACS+ software

7. I am confused after leaving WIN98 - b

8. Printing help

9. I am Getting Fatal Exception errors coming out my ass in Win98!

10. Audit of Administrator Logons - what am I doing wrong?

11. Disabling Users - Am I missing Something Simple???

12. AD/AM availability in Windows 2003 Sever

13. Why am I connecting to Hotmail???