win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Mary Fowler Lee » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Could someone advise if it's OK to add a line to my autoexec.bat file, that
will delete everything in my W98 temp file with each boot. Is this safe to
do?

If so, will the following line be OK to use ...

DEL C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

Thank you,

MEL

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by SG » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>>Could someone advise if it's OK to add a line to my autoexec.bat file,

that
will delete everything in my W98 temp file with each boot. Is this safe to
do?<<<

NO...
Their are some installation programs that require a reboot to finish up the
install and they read from the Temp folder. If the files are gone as it
would
be in your case..the program could cause havoc on your machine and
this has happened. Be safe and delete them through Explorer, if some
are in use Windows will not let you delete them.

All the best,
--
SG
NOTE: Please post to the group...e-mail is invalid.

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Walter Clayto » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

No. Create a batch file and have it executed out of the start folder. Some
programs will place data in the temp folder, force a reboot to complete
installation and expect the data to still be in temp. If you delete it in
autoexec you'll wind up with an incomplete install.

--
Walter Clayton - [DTS MVP]
 Zone id: Dr_Doom_Ky

>Could someone advise if it's OK to add a line to my autoexec.bat file, that
>will delete everything in my W98 temp file with each boot. Is this safe to
>do?

>If so, will the following line be OK to use ...

>DEL C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

>Thank you,

>MEL

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Mary Fowler Lee » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Thank you for your assistance.

Would I just place the same line in a text file, name it TempDel.bat and
then place it in the StartUp folder?

Sorry, but I started with the early windows. :-) I've created a few batch
files but usually with a large dose of help.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

MEL

: No. Create a batch file and have it executed out of the start folder. Some
: programs will place data in the temp folder, force a reboot to complete
: installation and expect the data to still be in temp. If you delete it in
: autoexec you'll wind up with an incomplete install.
:
: --
: Walter Clayton - [DTS MVP]
:  Zone id: Dr_Doom_Ky
: Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
:

: >Could someone advise if it's OK to add a line to my autoexec.bat file,
that
: >will delete everything in my W98 temp file with each boot. Is this safe
: >do?
: >
: >If so, will the following line be OK to use ...
: >
: >DEL C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*
: >
: >Thank you,
: >
: >MEL

: >
: >
:
:

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Walter Clayto » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You got it! 8D

--
Walter Clayton - [DTS MVP]
 Zone id: Dr_Doom_Ky

>Thank you for your assistance.

>Would I just place the same line in a text file, name it TempDel.bat and
>then place it in the StartUp folder?

>Sorry, but I started with the early windows. :-) I've created a few batch
>files but usually with a large dose of help.

>Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

>MEL

>: No. Create a batch file and have it executed out of the start folder.
Some
>: programs will place data in the temp folder, force a reboot to complete
>: installation and expect the data to still be in temp. If you delete it in
>: autoexec you'll wind up with an incomplete install.
>:
>: --
>: Walter Clayton - [DTS MVP]
>:  Zone id: Dr_Doom_Ky
>: Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>:

>: >Could someone advise if it's OK to add a line to my autoexec.bat file,
>that
>: >will delete everything in my W98 temp file with each boot. Is this safe
>: >do?
>: >
>: >If so, will the following line be OK to use ...
>: >
>: >DEL C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*
>: >
>: >Thank you,
>: >
>: >MEL

>: >
>: >
>:
>:

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Start>Programs>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.

Quote:> Additional Help: http://www.mvps.org/links.html

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by SG » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Walt,

What takes precedence over the StartUp folder when Windows starts?.
If an app install does she will be OK, if not and the batch runs first then
you're back to square one as though you did it from the Autoexec.bat.

All the best,
--
SG
NOTE: Please post to the group...e-mail is invalid.
The Microsoft Knowledge Base  http://support.microsoft.com/support/a.asp?M=S
Additional Help: http://www.mvps.org/links.html

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Mikhail Zhil » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

It's Ok.
But it is better to use not 'Del', but 'Deltree' command:

DELTREE /y C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

(unlike 'deltree', 'del' does not delete subfolders and read-only
files).

Mikhail
Home Page: http://www.aha.ru/~mwz
Remove "_NOSPAM" from my e-mail address
======

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999 14:34:22 -0500, "Mary Fowler Leek"

>Thank you for your assistance.

>Would I just place the same line in a text file, name it TempDel.bat and
>then place it in the StartUp folder?

>Sorry, but I started with the early windows. :-) I've created a few batch
>files but usually with a large dose of help.

>Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

>MEL

>: No. Create a batch file and have it executed out of the start folder. Some
>: programs will place data in the temp folder, force a reboot to complete
>: installation and expect the data to still be in temp. If you delete it in
>: autoexec you'll wind up with an incomplete install.
>:
>: --
>: Walter Clayton - [DTS MVP]
>:  Zone id: Dr_Doom_Ky
>: Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>:

>: >Could someone advise if it's OK to add a line to my autoexec.bat file,
>that
>: >will delete everything in my W98 temp file with each boot. Is this safe
>: >do?
>: >
>: >If so, will the following line be OK to use ...
>: >
>: >DEL C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*
>: >
>: >Thank you,
>: >
>: >MEL

>: >
>: >
>:
>:

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Gary Terhun » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

In essence, it's not a good idea to automatically delete *any* files, except
via program options that usually include protection against dumb moves.

I keep a shortcut to my Temp folder in System Tools (which is one of the few
items on my Desktop.) Click on the Temp shortcut, ctrl-a (selects all) and
shift-delete. Quicker than any other method except automatic, and definitely
safer. But, I don't get what it is that makes people need to auto-delete
Temp files. Can you clue me in?

Gary

> Could someone advise if it's OK to add a line to my autoexec.bat file,
that
> will delete everything in my W98 temp file with each boot. Is this safe to
> do?

> If so, will the following line be OK to use ...

> DEL C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

> Thank you,

> MEL

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Walter Clayto » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Mark has it. There was a couple two or threes thread about this not too long
ago and the general consenus was that doing temp file delete in startup was
OK.

--
Walter Clayton - [DTS MVP]
 Zone id: Dr_Doom_Ky

>Walt,

>What takes precedence over the StartUp folder when Windows starts?.
>If an app install does she will be OK, if not and the batch runs first then
>you're back to square one as though you did it from the Autoexec.bat.

>All the best,
>--
>SG
>NOTE: Please post to the group...e-mail is invalid.
>The Microsoft Knowledge Base

http://support.microsoft.com/support/a.asp?M=S
Quote:>Additional Help: http://www.mvps.org/links.html

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by SG » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>Mark has it. There was a couple two or threes thread about this not too

long
ago and the general consenus was that doing temp file delete in startup was
OK.<<

I thank you both ;>)

All the best,
--
SG
NOTE: Please post to the group...e-mail is invalid.
The Microsoft Knowledge Base  http://support.microsoft.com/support/a.asp?M=S
Additional Help: http://www.mvps.org/links.html

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Gary Terhun » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

That's what I wanted to hear! I had a sneaking suspicion Word 2000 was gonna
be the first response to this. I haven't gotten it, only FrontPage 2000, and
it is leaving a couple of files in TEMP. I'm using Corel 8 and currently
deciding which way to go from here. Although Corel 8 was a monstrous hybrid,
I fear Word 2K will cause major heartbreak.

Thanks for the info.

Gary

> Word 2000 for one. With its stupid clipboard and VBA editor.

> --
> Mark Dormer

> http://www.angelfire.com/biz/serenitymacros

> > Ok, and I for one am appreciative of the info gleaned from this thread.
> But,
> > I still don't fully understand why someone would want to automatically
> > delete Temp Folder files on such a regular basis. I dunno, but on my
> system,
> > only a few poorly written installation programs, and a few monitoring or
> > scanning programs leave anything there anyway. I would think a weekly
> > cleanup in preparation for disk maintenance would more than suffice. Are
> > there major programs out there that regularly write files to the TEMP
> folder
> > and leave them there? Using TEMP for a cache?

> > I ask out of curiosity.

> > GAry

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Mark Dorme » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

All the places that a setup program places itself will take precedance over
the startup folder (unsure about task scheduler, but no setup program would
use it). Run/setup, RunServices run before logon, Run after logon, and then
the shell.

--
Mark Dormer

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/serenitymacros

> Walt,

> What takes precedence over the StartUp folder when Windows starts?.
> If an app install does she will be OK, if not and the batch runs first
then
> you're back to square one as though you did it from the Autoexec.bat.

> All the best,
> --
> SG
> NOTE: Please post to the group...e-mail is invalid.
> The Microsoft Knowledge Base

http://support.microsoft.com/support/a.asp?M=S
Quote:> Additional Help: http://www.mvps.org/links.html

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Mark Dorme » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Word 2000 for one. With its stupid clipboard and VBA editor.

--
Mark Dormer

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/serenitymacros

Quote:> Ok, and I for one am appreciative of the info gleaned from this thread.
But,
> I still don't fully understand why someone would want to automatically
> delete Temp Folder files on such a regular basis. I dunno, but on my
system,
> only a few poorly written installation programs, and a few monitoring or
> scanning programs leave anything there anyway. I would think a weekly
> cleanup in preparation for disk maintenance would more than suffice. Are
> there major programs out there that regularly write files to the TEMP
folder
> and leave them there? Using TEMP for a cache?

> I ask out of curiosity.

> GAry

win98 temp file - delete all temp files?

Post by Bill Jame » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You know how it is if a person knows more than someone else on a subject,
they get picked for advice and help?  That happens to me all the time with
computers of family and friends, and I often find 50 MB or more of files
stranded in Temp.  Deleting those is one of the first steps and I've got the
tune-up routine down to 1/2 hr or less, leaving defrag running after I am
done (often takes longer than all the rest).  Of course, these friends and
family are never too interested in my coaching as to how to keep things
running smooth, but then they can always call Bill.  Do get a few free
dinners out of it, but that's all.  Right now I am sending them all the
little .vbs file I posted, with an added self-installer as I know most won't
do more than point and click.

Bill James

>Ok, and I for one am appreciative of the info gleaned from this thread.
But,
>I still don't fully understand why someone would want to automatically
>delete Temp Folder files on such a regular basis. I dunno, but on my
system,
>only a few poorly written installation programs, and a few monitoring or
>scanning programs leave anything there anyway. I would think a weekly
>cleanup in preparation for disk maintenance would more than suffice. Are
>there major programs out there that regularly write files to the TEMP
folder
>and leave them there? Using TEMP for a cache?

>I ask out of curiosity.

>GAry

1. Deleted Temp Files from C:Windows/Temp folder

I clicked my computer, the C drive, the windows folder,
then the temp folder, clicked Edit pull down menu, clicked
select All, verified that I was in the C:/windows/temp
folder and then lastly hit the delete key. All files were
deleted, except the ones in which the computer asked me if
I was sure I wanted to delete a file because it could
cause problems when running certain programs; so I
prompted the computer not to delete these (about 4)
folders. However, all the rest are deleted and now my
daughter tells me I probably deleted things I needed
because that is not how you delete TEMP files from windows
98. Is this true? If so, I thought anything in the TEMP
folder was just backup files or temporary unnecessary
files. Should I undo this?  Thanks Jack

2. Best offer on ZX-80

3. auto delete of temp files in windows\temp

4. Bullet modem & SIO 1.53

5. TEMP files now in Windows directory instead of TEMP !!

6. CDE: Problems with rpc.ttdbserverd and TT_DB

7. Temp files and other files to be deleted when system boot uo

8. temp files created after I open a file and they do not delete after I close

9. Explain what I can delete in c:\Temp or c:\windows\temp?

10. Can I delete all the folders and files in C:\WINNT\TEMP ?

11. can't delete temp file; "sharing violation"?